Copper Pipe Sweating Question

Users who are viewing this thread

crosby1

Reaction score
i'm getting ready to install a shower rough-in valve and all associated plumbing connections.

i need to attach a few elbows to the valve before installing it.

question: if i sweat the elbows to the valve and then come back to sweat the pipe to the elbows, how do i prevent the 1st solder joint from breaking down and coming apart when i reheat the connections?

thanks.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
If you can solder some pipe to the 90s at the same time and cut it back to the right length later that will take care of the problem.

crosby1

Reaction score
thanks cass,

so really, all fittings have to be sweated both sides at the same time?

no way to do one side of a fitting then come back to do the other without screwing up the first one?

one more (stupid) question: when sweating a vertical fitting (like a straight connector), how does the solder go "up" into the bottom part of the connector? is it just capillary action?

thanks again.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You really should do both sides of an elbow at the same time. If other connections are close, then a damp rag should keep the ones you've done intact. If you dry fit everything, then solder, it can work out well.

Frenchie

Jack of all trades
Reaction score
when sweating a vertical fitting (like a straight connector), how does the solder go "up" into the bottom part of the connector? is it just capillary action?

Yeah, pretty much. Solder's drawn in by the flux.

I've never heard of anyone successfully soldering one side of an elbow, then the other.

Sweat on a short length of pipe, then use straight couplings to connect to the roughed-in pipes.

Lakee911

I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)
Reaction score
Really? I've sweated a lot of one side of connections on the bench and then brought it in the field and soldered in the other half. Elbows and 45s included.
Then again, I don't just hang the whole contraption from the elbow while I heat is. Is that the issue?

Frenchie

Jack of all trades
Reaction score
Really? I've sweated a lot of one side of connections on the bench and then brought it in the field and soldered in the other half. Elbows and 45s included.
Then again, I don't just hang the whole contraption from the elbow while I heat is. Is that the issue?

Okay, I've never heard of anyone doing it... until now!:D

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I always do one then the other... A couple of seconds apart!

I'd like to do them both at once but its just to hard to apply the solder to 2 joints at once... Sorry I'm not that good!

shag_fu

Reaction score
When I solder 2 side of an elbow at dif time I always reclean and flux the unsoldered connection. Ive had no problems. I run into that situation alot with male/fem adapters. Put the first piece into the adapter, dope and tape, screw into whatever, wet towel on the joint and solder away.

Krow

Plumber
Reaction score
I've never heard of anyone successfully soldering one side of an elbow, then the other. .

Its more common than most people think. You may have a scenario where the one side of the 90 is right at the egde of the drywall or combustable area where you do not want to put direct flame. I find it reassuring that the joint has solder around it and you can visually see it as apposed to guessing.

I don't recommend that inexperienced folks try this, you may end up cursing a blue streak.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks