copper pipe questions

Discussion in 'Irrigation / Sprinkler Forum' started by trae08, Sep 5, 2007.

1. trae08

trae08 New Member

hi im new here and i have a question. im gonna be working with copper and im wondering what is better to use? the copper epoxy or soldering the copper? the copper will hold about 300-400 psi

didnt know where else to post this question so i hope this is the ok section for it.
  2. frenchie

frenchie Jack of all trades

Lord, I hope that's a typo.
  3. trae08

trae08 New Member

lol umm no its not i dunno about 300-400 but it will go up to 200.
  4. explain more, tell more, give more context. Something will be clearer after that.
  5. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

First, forget about the epoxy on copper. Solder it. But what in the world are you working on that will have 200 psi? If this is some kind of boiler, you should not be doing this yourself. If it's a home water system, there seems to me that there is no way you can have that much pressure. It would blow everything in the house about, especially the water heater and toilets.
  6. trae08

trae08 New Member

o ok well here it is. im building a potato gun. an thx for the info.
  7. CHH

CHH New Member

Well it is Sept and school has started again...

The traditional potato gun is made from PVC. Much cheaper than copper and easier to work with.

If you have to use copper then just solder it or use epoxy it really won't matter. If the darn thing blows up in your face then I will deny ever making this post.
  8. trae08

trae08 New Member

yea i know there made from pvc and i have made a few pvc guns myself. go here an check out some of them www.spudfiles.com but im using copper cause its smaller then pvc and its going to fit in the stock on the new gun..

and if it blows up im not the kinda person to come after you for saying use epoxy or solder it
  9. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

epoxy

I would not trust epoxy at 100 psi, much less 200 psi. Solder the copper with 95/5 solder and make good joints. And use at least type "L" copper. By the time you get done, you might have been able to purchase an Uzi cheaper.