copper pipe question

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by Alexdc99, Mar 29, 2005.

1. Alexdc99

Alexdc99 New Member

I have just replaced my 1/2 main line through the house with 3/4 but I have 2 foot section left to upgrade. My question is, I have 3 inches of 3/4 line coming out of my water softner that has a 3/4 to 1/2 reducer on it. Should I cut right after the adapter and solder on 3/4 to 3/4 adapter and run from there or should I unsolder the existing 3/4 line from the water softner housing and repace with my new pipe. I hope this description is clear enough.

Thanks
    Alex
  2. Gary Slusser

Gary Slusser That's all folks!

It sounds as if you may have an Autotrol control valve. If so the 3/4" is a tail piece part of the by-pass or control valve if no factory by-pass valve. Don't cut it if it is. It has a large 'ruber' gasket under the nut that connects it to the control of by-pass valve. You don't want to shorten the tail piece or burn the seal. Cut the plumbing tubing, remove the tail peice and nut and gasket and unsolder the reducer. Then use a coupler to connect the tai lpiece to your new plumbing.

Gary
    Quality Water Associates
  3. Alexdc99

Alexdc99 New Member

OK thanks. I do have that model and it does has a by-pass vavle in it. I need to replace the piece on the in side of the vavle. I don't recall seeing a nut and gasket anywhere near it but will look tonight when I get home. Remebering back, I think where the in and out tubes are is one giant piece with the by-pass just behind those tubes. Could i just cut right behind the reducer and use the coupler you mention on the remaining copper tubing.

Thanks
    Alex
  4. Gary Slusser

Gary Slusser That's all folks!

Maybe I wrong and you don't have an Autotrol valve.

If I can, here's a picture.

Gary
    Quality Water Associates

Attached Files:

5. Alexdc99

Alexdc99 New Member

Nope not like that one. I phoned home and my wife says it's a Culligan Mark 88 softener. I'll take some pictures of tonight and post a link to them.

thanks