Copper pipe problems

Users who are viewing this thread

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
"are you are talking about the regular Oatey #95 flux or the water soluble 2095 flux?"

Regular Oatey No. 95. It's lead free and self-tinning.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Agree with RUGGED.

That is the only flux worth using. Leaks are very rare

Prashster

Reaction score
Not to belabor the point

But I was using Oatey No. 5 up until I read this thread. It worked fine, but I do notice an improvement when I switched to No. 95. The joint seems to hold more solder before it starts to drip. It also does not seem to burn away as easy as the No 5 does. I'm a convert!

Flux You all

JK60

Engineer
Reaction score
Bought the Oatey 95 flux and the Oatey Safeflo silver solder. Will be experimenting with those within a week. Thanks to everyone for their recommendations.

Mikebarone

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
One in a million…

Well, here is one in a million. I went out on a job to just solder in a isolation valve for a hot water tank. I usually don’t have any problems with my soldering techniques . Well, this time, I too had a hell of a time with leaks. I redid everything until I finally got it to hold. I stayed at the house that night doing so other tasks for about an hour, checking every now and then on my solder job…everything was fine. The next day I returned to the house only to find water coming down the hall to meet me! After taking the joints apart again, and going to home depot to get a new valve I discovered that there was a lot of slop in the fittings. I thought the fittings were out of spec, so I took a section of the copper pipe from the house back to Home Depot. Come to find out, the copper pipe in the house was out of spec! So, make sure that the pipe, (after sanding and fluxing) fits fairly snug. Like I said, this is probably one it a million, but check it out just for the hell of it.
If you can’t get all of the water out of the pipes, you can stuff white bread, (remove the crust first) down the pipes. After you are done soldering, you just blow the bread out of the shower. Make sure you take the shower head off, before you blow it out.
I too just read that the rapid cooling down of the soldered joints, is not good, (something I always use to do before).
I also was told not to use the flex copper in the wall. I have had one leak already in my house. It could have been flux that ate a hole in it, because of a lot of joints in the area, and maybe years ago, I didn’t get all of the flux off of the pipe.

Good luck, Mike

soldering_bread.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks