Copper pipe length into tub spout?

Users who are viewing this thread

FlynHokie

Reaction score
Hello again all! I'm in the middle of remodeling my hallway bath - tore it down to stud walls, and installing new everything.

Cast Iron Kohler K-716 tub is inplace (what a pain in the rear!!) and drain plumbing run. Hot/cold water to pressure balance valve, and pipe run to shower head 90deg fitting and down to tub spout 90deg pipe.

The tub spout is a Grohe slide on with set screw. Question is, how far into the spout should the copper pipe run? See picture for reference - Should it a) run to the black gasket, b) run just past the gasket, c) run all the way to the front of the spout? If past the gasket (which makes sense to me - as that is probably a seal of sorts), then should I apply any lubricant to prevent damaging the gasket?)

I've left enough pipe hanging ther to do any of the options, and still have to install the Swanstone walls prior to hooking up the spout, so I at least planned for anything on the spout.

Thanks in advance!

FlynHokie

Attachments

• Feb 2010 018b.jpg
    Feb 2010 018b.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 3,432

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
You make the piece of copper longer than necessary. Then after you finish the walls, you slide the spout on as far as it will go. Measure the space between the spout and the wall, then add about 1/2" and cut that much off of the copper stub. Slide the spout on and tighten the screw.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You'll want to ensure that the end of the pipe does not have any burrs on it, otherwise, you will likely cut the o-ring, and have a leak. Other than that, you don't need to do much to prepare it. You could put a little plumber's grease on the o-ring (if it doesn't have any).

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks