copper pipe inside, or outside vapor barrier?

Users who are viewing this thread

JohnyChevyEG

Reaction score
Website
www.chevalierfamily.com
I have cut out a section of the existing basement wall, and there is a sheet of plastic between the drywall, and the studs. One of the drain pipes is on the outside of this sheet between the concrete wall, and the sheet. Can I put my copper pipe there? What about the insulation that is there, will that affect the copper? Or do I have to keep the copper on the inside of the sheet between the sheet and the drywall? Is there and code issues with this? Can the copper pipe "touch" insulation, the sheeting, or the drywall?

Lakee911

I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)
Reaction score
I'm not sure it really matters. Traditionally, pipes are on the inside of insulated spaces so they do not freeze. In your application, underground I don't know if it matters. There is potential for the pipe to condensate if its cold water, though.

The pipe should be fine touching any of the building materials.

Make sure you seal your vapor barrior back up really well.

Jason

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
It depends on if your basement wall is an outside wall like a walkout basement might have or is a typical basement wall with earth on the outside.

JohnyChevyEG

Reaction score
Website
www.chevalierfamily.com
It's not a walkout, and the basement is about half underground at the rear, and fully above ground in the front of the house and garage.

I'm pretty sure i'm going to keep the pipe between the barrier and the drywall, I just want to make sure there is no code issue with that.

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
The only sure way to see if there's a code issue is to contact your local Building Official, who is the ultimate authority.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks