copper pipe in the swimming pool systems

Users who are viewing this thread

januwan

Reaction score
I am relocating my pool equipment to the new location. I have gas heater that heats up the water in the pool. The hot water line is CPVC 2 inch that goes into 1-1/2 cooper pipe (may be 4 ft) that goes to PVC or CPVC line (I am not sure I need to dig deeper) under the pool.
Can some one explain to me why do I have this cooper section. Are there any safety concerns?
The pools is around 20 years old.

Would it be possible to replace the cooper section with CPVC line. I do not mind soldering but using cement is much easier.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
copper

The water near the heater can be too hot for CPVC piping, and it is probably PVC anyway, which is normal for pool piping. But pool chemicals can deteriorate copper tubing, which is why you only have a short section, and can cause a blue stain in the pool around the water return outlets.

januwan

Reaction score
copper line ?

CPVC is good for 100 psi at 180°F . There is no way the water from heater is that hot. If it would be PVC like you are suggesting, why would they designed in weaker material (PVC) on the heater outlet and put the copper (stogner) section 3 ft down the road. I do not see any logic.
It must be some other reason.

R

Rancher

I remember when I put in a spa, the Teledyne Larrs gas heater required 24" of copper on the inlet/outlet, I guess the water may not get that hot but the heat area might.

Rancher

januwan

Reaction score
That I understand, putting copper on inlet/outlet to prevent overheating of the pipes. In my case the inlet outlet is plastic then there is this copper section on the outlet that is actually 2 ft from the heater.

Pewterpower

Reaction score
I don't understand it either. One thing is for sure.........that pipe is not original. There is no way it would have surveved 20 yrs worth of chemicals.

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
Copper Pipe

If it ever leaks or gets very corroded, I'd replace it with PVC or CPVC. In the meantime, if it ain't broke, why worry about it?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
copper

It may have been installed by someone who knew nothing about pools and heaters and figured that the two foot piece could go anywhere in the system.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks