Copper drain pipe for tub

Users who are viewing this thread

dnile

Reaction score
Hello Forum,

I need some advice regarding some drainage. I am currently remodeling the upstairs bathroom and we are changing out a tub. Just had a question regarding the drain, I am unable to pull the tub out because the compression fittings. I was thinking about just cutting the pipe that goes to the bottom of the tub so I can pull out the tub. Please let me know if there might be an easier way looking at this picture...

Also, I am guessing that the new tub will have abs drainage pipes so I will have to adapt to abs. What is a good way to cut the copper with a hacksaw so I can get a nice straight square cut.

Thanks, Cheers.

Attachments

• DSC_49582.jpg
    DSC_49582.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 6,071

dnile

Reaction score
Ok I have disconnected the overflow, but the cross hair piece on the flange is gone... There doesn't appear to be anything to grab onto with... I will try sticking a set of channel locks in there and try turning it out.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Assuming you aren't trying to save the tub (or even if you are), the way to get the strainer off is to take a hacksaw and cut out a small piece. Then, stick a screwdriver in there as a pick to then turn it using that wedge you cut out as a socket.

dnile

Reaction score
Unfortunatly I wasn't able to remove the flange. But a quick cut with the sawzall and we got the tub out. Now onto the second part of my question...

How do you create a nice square cut on the piece below the tee so I can connect it to abs via an adapter?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
You do NOT want to connect to that piece because it already has corrosion on the outside, besides being soldered into the tee.. Take it out of the compression joint at the bottom and connect the new drain to it. The tub does NOT come with a new drain so you can purchase either a metal or plastic one.

dnile

Reaction score
You do NOT want to connect to that piece because it already has corrosion on the outside, besides being soldered into the tee.. Take it out of the compression joint at the bottom and connect the new drain to it. The tub does NOT come with a new drain so you can purchase either a metal or plastic one.

I ended up cutting about 3 inchs below the tee. Going to use a banded copper to abs adapter... will this suffice?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
A no-hub connector will work, but you probably will have to go to a real plumbing supply store to find one the proper size. The big box stores generally only carry one for CI or plastic drain pipe...you need one side to be smaller to seal to the copper. An all rubber one without the metal reinforcement is not proper for above ground use. Keep in mind that the drain for the tub is tubular, and thinner and smaller diameter than the normal drain pipes, so you'll have three different diameter things to deal with.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
IF you use an ABS sch. 40 drain assembly, then an ABS to copper TRANSITION coupling will work. If you use a tubular waste, (ABS, PVC, or copper), then a "trap adapter" is the fitting to use.

dnile

Reaction score
This is what I got for an adapter. On it, it says: 1 1/2" CI PL ST to 1 1/2"K, 1 1/4" PL,ST. On their website they say K is copper. So I believe, this should work?

Attachments

• BandSeal.jpg
    BandSeal.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 1,368
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks