Copper drain pipe for tub

Discussion in 'Shower & bathtub Forum & Blog' started by dnile, Aug 2, 2010.

1. dnile

dnile New Member

Hello Forum,

I need some advice regarding some drainage. I am currently remodeling the upstairs bathroom and we are changing out a tub. Just had a question regarding the drain, I am unable to pull the tub out because the compression fittings. I was thinking about just cutting the pipe that goes to the bottom of the tub so I can pull out the tub. Please let me know if there might be an easier way looking at this picture...

Also, I am guessing that the new tub will have abs drainage pipes so I will have to adapt to abs. What is a good way to cut the copper with a hacksaw so I can get a nice straight square cut.

Thanks, Cheers.

Attached Files:

2. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

I usually unscrew the flange in the tub and remove the overflow plate...
  3. dnile

dnile New Member

Ok I have disconnected the overflow, but the cross hair piece on the flange is gone... There doesn't appear to be anything to grab onto with... I will try sticking a set of channel locks in there and try turning it out.
  4. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Assuming you aren't trying to save the tub (or even if you are), the way to get the strainer off is to take a hacksaw and cut out a small piece. Then, stick a screwdriver in there as a pick to then turn it using that wedge you cut out as a socket.
  5. dnile

dnile New Member

Unfortunatly I wasn't able to remove the flange. But a quick cut with the sawzall and we got the tub out. Now onto the second part of my question...

How do you create a nice square cut on the piece below the tee so I can connect it to abs via an adapter?
  6. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

You do NOT want to connect to that piece because it already has corrosion on the outside, besides being soldered into the tee.. Take it out of the compression joint at the bottom and connect the new drain to it. The tub does NOT come with a new drain so you can purchase either a metal or plastic one.
  7. dnile

dnile New Member

I ended up cutting about 3 inchs below the tee. Going to use a banded copper to abs adapter... will this suffice?
  8. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

A no-hub connector will work, but you probably will have to go to a real plumbing supply store to find one the proper size. The big box stores generally only carry one for CI or plastic drain pipe...you need one side to be smaller to seal to the copper. An all rubber one without the metal reinforcement is not proper for above ground use. Keep in mind that the drain for the tub is tubular, and thinner and smaller diameter than the normal drain pipes, so you'll have three different diameter things to deal with.
  9. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

IF you use an ABS sch. 40 drain assembly, then an ABS to copper TRANSITION coupling will work. If you use a tubular waste, (ABS, PVC, or copper), then a "trap adapter" is the fitting to use.
  10. dnile

dnile New Member

This is what I got for an adapter. On it, it says: 1 1/2" CI PL ST to 1 1/2"K, 1 1/4" PL,ST. On their website they say K is copper. So I believe, this should work?

Attached Files: