Copper clad

Discussion in 'Electrical Forum discussion & Blog' started by abchoppers, Sep 30, 2007.

1. abchoppers

abchoppers New Member

Sep 30, 2007
    Hi all, Quick question about copper clad wire. My house was built in 1974, the aluminum wire was pigtailed and my box is all copper now. However, I noticed that I do have copper clad wire, the outside looks just like copper but a cut end shows AL. I was changing a bathroom gfi and noticed the wire was this copper clad AL so I searched online for safety. I found this on "J. Safety of HOMES Wired WITH COPPER-CLAD ALUMINUM WIRE - Copper-clad aluminum wire has a thin copper outer skin and a core of aluminum. Therefore it looks like copper, except on close examination of a cut end. Markings on the cable jacket would include "Al" or "Aluminum". There is no known history of connection overheating problems associated with copper-clad aluminum wire. No corrective actions are required for copper-clad aluminum wire."

I've also read this in other areas. My question - Is this true? Any expert opinions? Thank you in advance, Ryan.
  2. Alectrician

Alectrician DIY Senior Member

Jun 15, 2007
    I would not hook it directly to the device. I would use coper pigtails. It is still aluminum and the problems are generally at the device terminals.
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 1, 2007
  3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. Spaceman Spiff

Spaceman Spiff Architect

Aug 31, 2004
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    The device needs to say "CU/CU CLAD" if you want to use copper clad on it. I'd still pigtail tho...