Copper Bond Epoxy - Opinions?

Users who are viewing this thread

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
Regarding the original thread NEVER EVER use epoxy, glue or any solvent on metal to metal.... it'll go from temperature expansion & contraction...copper expands & contracts at a completely different rate than plastic or other substances.
As for the never-ending debate on compression (yup...we debate that in my state too). The reason I was first taught to not use compression was it's not intended for use on harder type "L" copper, but inspectors pass it all the time.
I personally prefer to sweat the 1/2" inlet because I don't like the idea that I could possibly rotate it while tightening the 3/8" compression feeds...it's all a matter of personal taste.

When it comes to the older 3/8" threaded nipples...I use two channel locks and say a prayer before I start.
There are also the fine threaded 3/8" nipples that are mostly obsolete, but pop up in older homes...first thing I do is recommend to the homeowner they let me replace as much of it as they can afford...using reem adaptors.

Last edited:

Marlon1957

Reaction score
Copper-Bond Epoxy

Pacer Technology/Super Glue Corporation Copper-Bond Epoxy Adhesive (80583) is a unique 2-part epoxy system, which was developed specifically to join copper tubing and fittings for water systems. It works best on:

• Copper
• Stainless steel
• Aluminum
• Brass
• Bronze

• Chrome
• Galvanized steel

Copper-Bond epoxy has UL-approval for use in fire sprinkler systems using pipe from ¾” to 2” size, Type L or M, with a maximum system pressure of 175 psi. This thin film adhesive is designed to join two surfaces and is not appropriate for use as a patching material for leaks. The epoxy will not interfere with using the plumbing system for a ground and can be used with .002 to .020” gap.

PROPERTIES:

Initial color: R(white paste)/H(brown-yellow paste) Full Strength: 24 hours
Final color: Brown-copper Mix Ratio (parts by volume): 1:1
Working Time: 5 minutes Temperature Use Range: 360 to 1800 F
Handling Time: After 20 minutes (20 to 820C)

USE INSTRUCTIONS:
1. Assemble tools & materials: pipe, fittings, tubing cutter, abrasive cloth and copper pipe fitting brush. (Be sure to de-burr the pipe with a file).
2. Cut the tubing with a wheel cutter or hacksaw.
3. De-burr the pipe and clean the outside of the pipe with abrasive cloth.
4. Clean the inside of the fitting with a fitting brush.
5. Check the dry fit of the pipe: it should slide easily into the fitting. Dented or out-of-round parts should not be used and may result in leaks.
6. Open Copper-Bond syringe by cutting tips evenly across. Dispense on clean, flat disposable surface (such as cardboard). If product does not flow, use nail to puncture the skin, which sometimes forms on the inside. Copper-Bond must be mixed in equal parts by volume. If adhesive comes out unevenly at first, discard the unequal amount and dispense more Copper-Bond. Mix thoroughly until uniform in color (approximately 20-30 seconds of vigorous stirring).
7. Apply a heavy film of mixed product to the outside of pipe to the full depth of the joint.
8. Apply a thin film to the inside of the fitting. Do not leave any bare spots as this may cause a pinhole leak.
9. Insert pipe into fitting with a slight twist as you insert & wipe off excess Copper-Bond with a rag.
10. Copper-Bond sets in approximately 20 minutes. Before pressurizing, test the product you mixed with a fingernail: it should be hard. If it is not hard, wait longer and then retest. If product is not hard within one hour, it was not mixed in an equal part by volume. Take the joint apart and go back to Step #6.
11. Copper piping must be supported horizontally every ten feet, vertically every eight feet. In addition, Copper-Bond joints must not be disturbed during the cure time. It is good practice to flush a new piping system for 10 minutes before using any water from it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Herk

Plumber
Reaction score
I agree with the plumbers who use compression stops - I've been using them since 1966 on thousands of installations and have never, ever known one to have a catastrophic failure. I am leery of epoxy for that use, but I have never used it and really have no idea why I'd want to. These days, I use PEX pipe with copper stubouts, and I certainly wouldn't want to solder on the end of it with plastic on the other end.

Now there are other methods, such as the quick-connect, sharkbite-style stops.

farcast

Reaction score
Comment on compression fittings

I came here looking for some info on copper bond epoxy - I'm using some copper pipe for a temporary application completely unrelated to home plumbing, and just was wondering what experiences people have had.

And instead, I'm going to add my take on compression fittings:
I hate them.

I have spent decades doing handyman jobs in rentals which were too small to call a plumber, and I have had to mess with compression fittings ten or twenty times. They leak, but not enough to call the plumber. So the homeowner or landlord tightens the thing, and ten years later it leaks again. My father broke a toilet tightening a leaky compression fitting under a toilet when his wrench slipped.

And sometimes when a compression fitting leaks ten years later, no one notices for ages and the floor rots out underneath it. The original plumber is probably retired by then, so he never hears about the $20k bathroom repair. (I think we had that happen 3 times. One time the tenant noticed the drip and "didn't want to bother" the landlord because it was so small!) You know, sometimes a "catastrophic" plumbing failure can be cheaper than a leak, because it is usually discovered right away.

A related problem: those satanic fittings under toilet with a permanently attached cheap corrugated metal pipe going to the toilet tank. Decades ago, toilet valves didn't last long, and after that corrugated metal thing had been bent a few times to replace the toilet valve, it would start to leak. And then when we tried to replace it with a quality ball valve and replaceable flexible tubing, we'd find a compression fitting. Funny thing about compression fittings: it's next to impossible to tighten them enough to prevent leaking the second or third time the fitting is taken apart, and no DIY guy has the tools to remove or replace the compression ring.

I no longer have to deal with rental units, but I've replaced or upgraded almost every fixture on my 1970's era home. I've had to open 6 or so compression fittings, and was only able to get one, JUST ONE, to reseal, and I bloodied my knuckles and crushed the copper into uranium doing it. The others? I just gave up, cut them off, and soldered on MNPT fittings. Not crazy about pipe thread either, but I've never had a problem.

My take: compression fittings may be wonderful for plumbers, but not for homeowners or landlords.

Last edited:

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I'd carry buckets before I used Copper Bond!

There are simply too many other good choices of things to use whether it is learning to sweat pipe, using compression fittings, or, SharkBites.

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
I wonder why you plumbers are so afraid of epoxy? Is sweating pipe the last frontier of the trade to be taken away from you? Let us consider foundation bolt retrofitting, where a dirty piece of iron goes into an 1/8 to 1/4 " oversize hole. They test 4 to 10000 PSI and usually pull out the crappy cement before the bolt leaves the epoxy.

Now, a clean, abraded fitting and pipe, with a few thousanths clearance, cleaned with some acetone, and properly epoxied [pretty much the same standards for sweating] will be a joint just as good as a solder job, and not subject to earthquake forces. Unless your hot water runs over 200', the issue of heat expansion ratios is addressed in the epoxy formula.

I have a pile of lags and screws in old pressure tanks with JB weld and even some 99 cent chinese epoxy, and never had one leak after several years. The trick is in the prep and application.

That said, I am about all PEX now anyway, but would never travel without a torch and solder.... Getting ready to epoxy a tub shower valve stub outs to pex - no worry about heat or dissasembly to sweat. I'll report back if they blow out.

I'll bet granpa had a very hard time letting go of his oakum and lead pot when ABS came along too.

You guys all trust PVC cement - in Europe they laugh at that and use heat weld plastic joints.

Last edited:

Shacko

Master Plumber-Gas Fitter
Reaction score
>>>I wonder why you plumbers are so afraid of epoxy?<<<

Plumbers are not afraid of it, it is not allowed under most codes.

>>>I'll bet granpa had a very hard time letting go of his oakum and lead pot when ABS came along too<<<

You missed two eras, the copper pipe dwv and the STAINLESS STEEL dwv.

>>>You guys all trust PVC cement - in Europe they laugh at that and use heat weld plastic joints.<<<

You didn't give any real information, we heat weld plastic in the U.S.A. also, depends on the situation.

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
the copper DWV always overlapped the iron, and dont forget the brass era. Great pickings for a guy living in a shopping cart around old detroit neighborhoods.

Some rich imbeciles still use copper waste around here. Whats the SS dwv era? Nuclear power plants?

The only heat weld I know of in the USA is polyethlene in large sizes. But in parts of Europe all the DWV and supply is something like pvc where the joints are fit with heat guns. No fumes and no liquid dripping around the place.

I think some unions in the big [read;mafia] cities still use cast iron, which is nice since its quiet, but whats the point when its held together with rubber and clamps?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I saw my first epoxy plumbing joint on copper yesterday.

epoxy_fittings.jpg

I was able to pull the joint apart by hand. It's a good thing this was only on a water heater relief line.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; I beg to differ, with all due respect for your long experience. A compression connection can fail catastrophically if installed improperly. If overtightened, the pipe can be crimped beyond use and will need to be cut short. At the wall, you cannot shorten it without tearing up the wall. It is also non-replaceable for the same reason.

Does my 60+ years of experience impress you? In that time I have installed "thousands" of compression stops and have NEVER had one 'blow off". I cannot even visualize HOW it could happen, unless the line froze and that pressure pushed it off, and if so, it would have damaged ANY other type of connection also. You may prefer plastic, but I would NEVER use it to stub out to the angle stops, (even if you used it in the walls, which I have not done either so far).

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
I have confidence in compression stops but, we don't use them. We don't use them because I like installing things that the average homeowner cant mess with so we solder the valves on. For the hack crowd though, you can now get them with sharkbite push on fittings LOL

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
I saw my first epoxy plumbing joint on copper yesterday.

epoxy_fittings.jpg

I was able to pull the joint apart by hand. It's a good thing this was only on a water heater relief line.

That may have worked if the copper was cleaned.

The new JB water weld works good.

Clean is the key.

MikePlummer

Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
I only solder valves on copper...never use compression ones....u guys keep referring to them possibly dripping but not blowing off - ive never had a soldered valve DRIP or blow off - does that trump your dripping compression connection? ;):p...

back to the subject... we tested some copper epoxy once in trade school, following the directions to a t --- clean pipe and fitting, make sure pipe and fitting are CLEAN - no dust or oils or water etc - apply epoxy to pipe (and fitting??...was years ago), rotate 360 degree and allow to harden for minimum 24hrs.....the resulting contraption we made stood up to very high pressure tests and pushing pulling etc....that being said I would still NEVER use it......I couldn't imagine trying to duplicate all the perfect conditions for a proper joint with that stuff on a job site on every fitting....plus the 24hr cure time is a crucial factor.

JerryR

Reaction score
I only solder valves on copper...never use compression ones....u guys keep referring to them possibly dripping but not blowing off - ive never had a soldered valve DRIP or blow off - does that trump your dripping compression connection? ;):p...

For toilet and sink stops I only use the best, CANADIAN Dahl compression stops. They are first class. You should trust Canadian products, especially when they are made from American raw materials. :)

JR

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks