Copper and brass water pipe

Users who are viewing this thread

Coyo5050

Reaction score
I have pulled up the sub floor in my bathroom on the second floor since I am re-tiling. The house was built in 1925, some stuff has definitely be updated. In the bathroom there is copper pipe coming up connecting to the brass pipe which goes to the sink both hot and cold which also splits off to the toilet. There is copper all of the way to the tub. The brass pipe for the hot water looks to be in good condition. The cold water connection has a couple corroded spots with slow leaks so I need to replace it. Couple questions.

1) Seems like new brass pipes are not an option so should I just replace with copper or something else? Should I remove the good brass parts also vs. going copper to brass to copper. It is about 8 ft of bad to replace.

2) Should I replace the brass pipe going to the hot water? It looks to be in great condition (even the outside is still a nice brass color vs. the cold water line which was black in color, you can see this in attached pic).

I'll attach a pic if that helps. You cant see the copper coming up in the pic is right underneath the small part of floor which I hadnt pulled up yet in this pic.

Thank you!

pipe.jpg

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Copper to brass is fine.
Or you could also PEX it.

Brass normally lasts a long time, but if it's opened up, and you have doubts, now would be the time. Brass does have some lead in it.

Coyo5050

Reaction score
I have some experience with soldering copper, I don't look forward to doing it though.

If I went PEX, what is the easiest way to connect the PEX to what I have? Pull out all the bad brass back to the last good brass connector? Or remove all of the brass and connect the PEX to copper? PEX is new to me.

It is a short section so price difference wont matter, just want the best and easiest.

Thank you

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks