Cooper 6105 wiring diagram conflicts

Users who are viewing this thread

nrthwds

Reaction score
I've read a similar post on this issue but it still needs clarification. I am wanting to install a single pole motion sensing wall switch. The existing switch is wired simply with a black top, white bottom and green to the ground. The motion switch has 1 green and 2 blacks, neither blacks are labeled as "hot", "neutral", "line" or "load". The confusion I am experiencing is the d*#n directions from Cooper. Their written directions specifies "Do not connect to neutral wire or damage to unit will occur." A diagram however shows 1 of the sensors black wires (#1) being wire nutted to a wire labeled "Black" & "Load" which has an inline light and continues further on and arrows to (Neutral). The 2nd sensor wire (#2) is also labeled "Black" in the diagram and it is wire nutted to a wire that arrows to Hot (Line). My inclination is to wire one of the sensor blacks to the receptacle's black wire and the other sensor black to the receptacle's white wire and of course the greens joined and pig tailed into the sensor. The written instructions seemingly caution not to do this ...."not to connect to neutral or damage....", however their wiring diagram shows a black #1going to (Neutral). Am I missing something? It sure seems to be conflicting instructions. I could call Cooper but it's Super Bowl XLV weekend and I doubt they are in. Any help is appreciated. BTW, Go Pack!!

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
I think you are seeing a white wire connected to your existing switch and incorrectly making the assumption that it is a neutral. The black wire coming into the switch is likely the hot wire from the breaker. The white wire from the switch is going to the light. The white wire should have been marked with a black mark or piece of electrical tape when it was originally installed to mark it is being hot. This is normal when installing NM (romex) sheathed cable.

Clipboard01.jpg

JWelectric

Electrical Contractor/Instructor
Reaction score
Yes you are missing something.

What you have is a switch which must be wired in series and you want to wire it in parallel with a receptacle.

Are you trying to wire this sensor to control a lamp that plugs into a receptacle?

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
In the diagram, one side of the LOAD ( the light bulb) returns to neutral. that is how the light lights up! In the box, if you just have a black and white, THAT white is not neutral, it is the switched hot. It SHOULD be remarked with black tape, but rarely is.

nrthwds

Reaction score
Hey thax guys(gals?). The diagram above is exactly what was provided by Cooper. I should have said elect box, not receptacle box. Sorry about that. What I am attempting to do is replace a wall switch with a sensor switch in a small pantry room that controls a ceiling lite. So, correct me if I am wrong . . . I should connect the 2 black wires out of the sensor - one to the black wire in the box and 1 to the white wire, right? And it wouldn't hurt to tape the white wire with black tape, right?

JWelectric

Electrical Contractor/Instructor
Reaction score
Hey thax guys(gals?). The diagram above is exactly what was provided by Cooper. I should have said elect box, not receptacle box. Sorry about that. What I am attempting to do is replace a wall switch with a sensor switch in a small pantry room that controls a ceiling lite. So, correct me if I am wrong . . . I should connect the 2 black wires out of the sensor - one to the black wire in the box and 1 to the white wire, right? And it wouldn't hurt to tape the white wire with black tape, right?

u r correct .

Jim Port

Electrical Contractor
Reaction score
Website
www.manta.com
In the diagram, one side of the LOAD ( the light bulb) returns to neutral. that is how the light lights up! In the box, if you just have a black and white, THAT white is not neutral, it is the switched hot. It SHOULD be remarked with black tape, but rarely is.

The re-identified white should be the feed to the switch, not the switched hot. NEC 200.7

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Wow...that is a bit esoteric. I don't suppose the op has any way to know just exactly how he is wired.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks