Converting water heater from LP to NG

Users who are viewing this thread

K-dog

Reaction score
I have an American water heater that is 2 years old and is a power vented model. I need to convert it from LP to NG. I called American and a kit is available. It would be the burner assembly and gas valve. Has anybody ever done this before? Any pro's/ con's. Thanks for the advice.

K-dog

Reaction score
I called American and a conversion kit is available for this unit at the cost of $192.00 dollars. I simply want to know if anybody has installed a conversion on a water heater. I have done a few furnaces but never a water heater.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
conversion

The thermstat is must also be replaced. LP has a left hand manifold thread and 11" regulation. That price might include the thermostat however.

fozzy12

Reaction score
LP to NG conversion

Yes, I had my hot water heater converted from Propane to NG when they ran a line past my house. I had to have a licensed plumber order the kit from the hot water heater manufacturer and he installed it. They wouldn't sell it to anyone else. Wouldn't even really talk about it on the phone. Since my water heater was a direct vent, the replacement would have had to be also. The price of a new direct vent made me get the conversion done. Works fine.

Eric

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Even if you can somehow get the kit directly, have a licensed plumber do the installation. A small screw up with a water line or drain results in a repairable leak. A small screw up with gas results in funerals.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Even if you can somehow get the kit directly, have a licensed plumber do the installation. A small screw up with a water line or drain results in a repairable leak. A small screw up with gas results in funerals.

Usually a toss up between owning a lot with a pile of smoldering toothpicks on it or, a family not waking up in the morning...

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
What you are talking about is a Whirlpool ( commonly known as a cesspool) in its natural habitat (American and Whirlpool are basicly the same animal with different names)

Personally I wouldn't waste my $$$ on it and would purchase a NG Rheem/Rudd or Brad White.

Converting that junk is just begging for trouble...and that doesn't include the boom factor...

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks