Converting to double sink-drain pipe too close to stud for double fixture fitting.

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by Finch85, Mar 10, 2012.

1. Finch85

Finch85 New Member

Hello again!

Trying to plan ahead for our bathroom remodel. The plan is to have a double vanity but our bathroom was originally plumbed for one. The problem is that the sink drain pipe is a couple inches from a stud.

I see a couple options but wanted to run it by you guys first.

1. Cut the pipe near the bottom (above the sole plate) and put a couple 45's in to bring it out from the stud. This would give me some clearance to install the double fixture fitting.

2. Cut a section of the pipe out. Go ahead and drill a hole in the stud (at the appropriate height) and place one side of the double fixture into the stud hole. Then install a coupling at the cut bottom drain and run a piece of pipe up into the double fixture fitting making sure the end is still inside the stud hole.

3. Due to the design of our vanity...I'd prefer to do this plumbing inside the wall and not in our cabinet.

Thanks!

mail.google.com.jpg
  2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

The stud is NOT too close. All you have to do is drill the hole large enough for the bell to insert into the stud. We do it all the time.
  3. Finch85

Finch85 New Member

In a step by step process...how would you proceed with that?

1. Determine the height to drill the hole.
    2. Cut the existing fitting (not sure the of the name) between the drain and vent.
    3. Drill the hole into the stud.
    4. Slide fitting down onto drain while putting one end of the double fix. fitting into the newly drilled hole.

I guess my only concern was the lack of "wiggle room" of the drain pipe.
  4. dlarrivee

dlarrivee New Member

You can do it without even using a coupling, this isn't really rocket science.
  5. Finch85

Finch85 New Member

No, maybe not but I just like to think about every aspect of the job I'm getting into. Thanks for your input.
  6. hj

Now that the vertical line is for two sinks, use a cleanout/test tee instead of a coupling to make the connection.
  7. Finch85

Finch85 New Member

Where exactly do I install this fitting? I was planning on changing my plumbing to that of this photo.

lav_rough_double_b.jpg
  8. hj

YOu put it above the cabinet floor and below the double fixture fitting.
  9. Finch85

Finch85 New Member

Gotcha...thanks!