Converting Surface Mount Panel to Recessed?

Discussion in 'Electrical Forum discussion & Blog' started by Nate R, Nov 16, 2009.

1. Nate R

Nate R New Member

My main panel is currently surface-mounted to an interior wall in our back porch with the feed from the meter coming in through the backside.

Can I add lumber over the existing wall, re-run the wiring through the new lumber, while keeping the box in place, essentially making what was a surface mount box a recessed box? I'd like to be able to hide what would be exposed wiring in a wall, as the back porch area will eventually be visible from the kitchen.

What code sections do I need to be looking at that deal with this specifically?
  2. jbfan74

jbfan74 Electrical Contractor

Not a problem.
  3. Alectrician

Alectrician DIY Senior Member

As long as the panel is within 1/4" of the finished drywall you are good.

Also, it would be easier to notch the lumber around the existing wiring.
  4. Nate R

Nate R New Member

Duh, didn't think of notching it! It's only there to hold up wallboard, so it doesn't need much.
    Thanks for the help!:D