Converting Steam to Water hydronic heat - how to pipe radiator?

Users who are viewing this thread

curious1

Reaction score
Each (old) radiator has a total of 4 openings. Two on each side, one on top and one on bottom (1,2,3,4 in the attached picture).
Steam systems use only one opening (on the bottom). Hydronic heat requires 2 openings. One for inlet and one for outlet.

Which opeinings should be used???
Option 1: The two bottom openings (3&4).
Option 2: One on top, one on bottom - opposite sides of radiator (1&4).
Option 3: One on top, one on bottom - same side of radiator (1&3).

Is there a difference? If I used both bottom openings (3&4) will the hot water reach the top?

All good answers will get likes.

Attachments

• radia.jpg
    radia.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 295
Last edited:

curious1

Reaction score
Normally, 1 or 2 will be used for the air vent and 3 and 4 for the supply/return lines.

If I use the bottom openings 3&4 (in and out) - will the top of the radiator become hot? (Or will the hot water just slide through the bottom and the top will remain cold?)

curious1

Reaction score
Each (old) radiator has a total of 4 openings. Two on each side, one on top and one on bottom (1,2,3,4 in the attached picture).
Steam systems use only one opening (on the bottom). Hydronic heat requires 2 openings. One for inlet and one for outlet.

Which opeinings should be used???
Option 1: The two bottom openings (3&4).
Option 2: One on top, one on bottom - opposite sides of radiator (1&4).
Option 3: One on top, one on bottom - same side of radiator (1&3).

Is there a difference? If I used both bottom openings (3&4) will the hot water reach the top?

Check out this video - the guy used both on the same side.

All good answers will get likes.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks