Converting single bathroom sink to double sinks

Users who are viewing this thread

Maxxfusion

Reaction score
Website
www.maxxfusion.com
Thanks guys for all your help. I got all the parts today and got all the abs pipe installed according to the picture. I have to go back and exchange my elbows because they are the vent elbows. I really thought i got the regular 90s.

Dlarrivee

Reaction score
Thanks guys for all your help. I got all the parts today and got all the abs pipe installed according to the picture. I have to go back and exchange my elbows because they are the vent elbows. I really thought i got the regular 90s.

That's the biggest annoyance about big-box stores, a lot of them only stock short radius and vent fittings and most wholesalers don't like helping homeowners out and aren't open weekends.

Maxxfusion

Reaction score
Website
www.maxxfusion.com
Ya. I typically go to HD over Lowes for things but HD doesnt even carry ABS fittings. The elbows were my mistake. I must not have been paying attention when i initally grabbed them because I thought I had the regular 90s. Lowes actually carries all 3 elbows.

My Dream

Reaction score
Going from single to double bath vanity question.

Morning everyone, hope everyone is well.

I've been racking my brain trying to figure out the proper way to extend the supply lines as well as drain/vent assembly, but would prefer some advice since this forum came highly recommended. I'm located close to Toronto Ontario, Canada and am a sheet metal worker by trade. I'm comfortable sweating pipes as well as working with abs.

Details:

Picture #1,2.3

Vanity is 61" with an open back so I'd like to make all rough in close to the sink with shuts offs. Since there are drawer in the center that will make installation much more easy I'm hoping.

my_dream_1.jpg

my_dream_2.jpg

my_dream_3.jpg

I have more pictures and details as well as how I believe it should be roughed in but I'm only allowed 4 images so if I'm allowed I can post more on another post.

Thanks

Frank

Last edited by a moderator:

My Dream

Reaction score
Seems it's been merged so I'll carry on.

Picture #4

This is the present rough in and I've given rough dimensions where both sinks will be set. Builder didn't put any shut off so I improvised. Oh and I know I shouldn't have tiles so much but I got carried away.

my_dream_4.jpg

Picture #5,6,7

I'm going to renovate a second ensuite bathroom next so rather then open up the present bathroom I removed the main shower/tub wall in the opposite bathroom since it seemed the logical route. Therefore....this is what is inside the wall but only up to a 33" length.

my_dream_7.jpg

my_dream_6.jpg

my_dream_5.jpg

My Dream

Reaction score
Picture #8,9,

Are above attic rough in, where the romex wire and the black plastic runs accross the joist is above the inside wall that has been opened up.

my_dream_9.jpg

my_dream_8.jpg

Picture #10,11

I'm not pc savy so this was the only way I could do photo's.....sorry. Since I believe the original drain is vented via the main stack, I'd like to place another vent between drain #1 and #2 vertical into the attic and accross and "T" into the smaller abs. Are the highlighted marks visible?

my_dream_10.jpg

my_dream_11.jpg

My Dream

Reaction score
Picture #12

This is the frontal view. ABS drain would maintain standard 1/4" per foot slope.

my_dream_12.jpg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Right now you have an 1-1/2" drain line for one lav.
I can't make out on the drawing which way you are intending to drain it.

Normally you would use a fixture cross and drain out the bottom with 2"

double_lav_rough_2.jpg

Last edited:

My Dream

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply Terry, it's appreciated.

Yes the builders use 1 1/2" abs for the drain assembly. At present there is new ceramic flooring therefore it would be too costly to rip it up and redo the drain through the floor. The present drain runs horizontal and I'll assume it's already vented to the stack shown in the attic. My plan was to add another vent between the two drain assemblies and run it vertical between the wall and tie back into the main attic vent which is approximately 27" away.

Last edited:

jaydub2010

Reaction score
quick question on this subject.. doing some reno work on my parents main bathroom on the second floor of their 80's split level. Their main bathroom has a 72" vanity and is plumbed for one sink. They wanted to put a double sink in so I was going to open up the wall behind the vanity and see what is going on. There is an adjoining bathroom on the back side of this wall which also has a single sink and vanity. I will verify once its opened up but was curious if they would have connected these two sinks and their respective drains/vents? And if so, is it a fair assumption that they would have a 2" drain pipe leading down? If I open things up and find that they're separate systems, I will need to provide a 2" drain pipe down for the new double sink, correct? exactly how far down? All the way to the stack?

Last edited:

jaydub2010

Reaction score
Hey Terry, which do you think is the better way, using a fixture tee (as in the new construction photo) or doing the fixtures individually (as in the "green background" photo)? In the green background photo, you mention a distance of 42" is that from the sanitary tee's up or from wye to wye?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If you have a 2" waste, then the double fixture cross.
If you only have 1.5", then the green background photo. Still not really right, but at least it's all vented, and it should drain out very well. I have done it that way when there is only a 1-1/2" pipe to work with.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks