converting regular tolet to Pressure flush

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by Jack Hibbler, Jan 28, 2006.

1. Jack Hibbler

Jack Hibbler New Member

Is there a way to add a pressure flush tank assembly to a regular tolet.
    I was watching a show today that showed the repair of a noisy pressure flush tolet. The tolet had a plastic tank inside that as the water filled in it compressed air in the Reservoir tank that forced the water into the bowl. The pressure tank was bolted into the bottom of the tank like the regular flapper valve and also it had studs that went throught the bottom of the tank where the bolts hold the tank to the bowl. I was wondering if the regular flapper valve could be removed and one of these pressure tanks could be installed. Does anyone know of a kit that can be purchased to convert it to a pressure flush tolet?
  2. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

The pressure tank would not usually fit inside your porcelain, probably would not hook up right, and the bowl would not necessarily flush properly since it was not designed for pressure flush.

You need to buy a pressure assist toilet as a complete set.
  3. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

If you are thinking about retrofitting a pressure assist system for a toilet that does not flush well, then it may not help, if it is even possible. A poorly designed toilet, be it either gravity flush or pressure assisted needs a decent design to work. Either can, if it is designed well. Unfortunately, there are many crappy toilets out there.
  4. BacchusII

BacchusII New Member

Pressure Flush?

I debated about going to a pressure flush a year ago. After reading about relatively loud flushes and high maintenance I read more about low flow gravity - to make it short I ended up with a Toto (actually 2 new ones) and love them. Have never needed a second flush since I put them in a year ago. I have a friend that had a problem w/ a pressure flush unit and the plumber told them to buy a Toto - wouldn't cost much more than repairing the old pressure flush unit.
  5. Scott

Scott Flushmate

At peak volume, a pressure-assist flush is only marginally louder than a typical gravity toilet. The difference is the "loud" part of the flush is at the beginning of a P.A. flush while the ""loud part of the gravity flush occurs as the bowl empties. It's a matter of perception, nothing more. The Flushmate website explains this a little better.

Speaking of perceptions, has it occurred to anyone that plumbers may recommend non-pressure-assist systems because they don't fail frequently or clog very often, having a negative impact in their cash-flow?

Just something to think about.
  6. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Converting a gravity toilet to Pressure Assist just isn't done.
    The tank and bowl should match.

It the old bowl is either a 3.5 or 5.0, then the 1 to 1.6 gallons from a pressure assist wouldn't be nearly enough.

On Sound:

Perception is quite a bit.

Sneak up on someone in the kitchen, and even though you are doing it quietly, it's still a surprise.

Pressure assist toilets are harder to maintain, so yes, there is a reason that plumbers prefer to sell something that is easy to keep running.
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2006
  7. Scott

Scott Flushmate

I'm not sure what's "harder to maintain" about a pressure-assist toilet. There's an inlet, an outlet, and a method of actuation, just like any gravity toilet. A significant reduction in water pressure may affect the performance but again, this could be true with a gravity toilet.

It's that darned "Perception" word again.
  8. RRW

RRW New Member

I think the problem with the pressure flush toilets is rather a case of experience than perception. They seem to break down fairly often and are hard and/or expensive to repair, at least thats my "perception".
  9. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

It's a lot easier to hold a little water against gravity in a tank than hold water at the line pressure of the water system.
  10. I tend to think that water quality may also be a big issue with the pressure assist toilets. When you consider the damage that chemicals in water can do to the basic toilet tank guts (flapper, seals, etc.), it stands to reason that it would wreak havoc on the more sophisticated components of the pressure assist tanks.
  11. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

We have moderately hard water here ( about 15 grains per gallon). I have had a Mansfield Quantum with Sloan Flushmate for about 14 years. Usual replacements of cartridge and supply assembly. Quarterly I dump vinegar inside to seep thru the rim holes. Toilet still works fine.