Converting regular toilet to Pressure flush

Users who are viewing this thread

Jack Hibbler

Reaction score
Is there a way to add a pressure flush tank assembly to a regular tolet.
I was watching a show today that showed the repair of a noisy pressure flush tolet. The tolet had a plastic tank inside that as the water filled in it compressed air in the Reservoir tank that forced the water into the bowl. The pressure tank was bolted into the bottom of the tank like the regular flapper valve and also it had studs that went throught the bottom of the tank where the bolts hold the tank to the bowl. I was wondering if the regular flapper valve could be removed and one of these pressure tanks could be installed. Does anyone know of a kit that can be purchased to convert it to a pressure flush tolet?

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
The pressure tank would not usually fit inside your porcelain, probably would not hook up right, and the bowl would not necessarily flush properly since it was not designed for pressure flush.

You need to buy a pressure assist toilet as a complete set.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If you are thinking about retrofitting a pressure assist system for a toilet that does not flush well, then it may not help, if it is even possible. A poorly designed toilet, be it either gravity flush or pressure assisted needs a decent design to work. Either can, if it is designed well. Unfortunately, there are many crappy toilets out there.

BacchusII

Reaction score
Pressure Flush?

I debated about going to a pressure flush a year ago. After reading about relatively loud flushes and high maintenance I read more about low flow gravity - to make it short I ended up with a Toto (actually 2 new ones) and love them. Have never needed a second flush since I put them in a year ago. I have a friend that had a problem w/ a pressure flush unit and the plumber told them to buy a Toto - wouldn't cost much more than repairing the old pressure flush unit.

Scott

Flushmate
Reaction score
Website
www.flushmate.com
BacchusII said:
I debated about going to a pressure flush a year ago. After reading about relatively loud flushes and high maintenance I read more about low flow gravity - to make it short I ended up with a Toto (actually 2 new ones) and love them. Have never needed a second flush since I put them in a year ago. I have a friend that had a problem w/ a pressure flush unit and the plumber told them to buy a Toto - wouldn't cost much more than repairing the old pressure flush unit.

At peak volume, a pressure-assist flush is only marginally louder than a typical gravity toilet. The difference is the "loud" part of the flush is at the beginning of a P.A. flush while the ""loud part of the gravity flush occurs as the bowl empties. It's a matter of perception, nothing more. The Flushmate website explains this a little better.

Speaking of perceptions, has it occurred to anyone that plumbers may recommend non-pressure-assist systems because they don't fail frequently or clog very often, having a negative impact in their cash-flow?

Just something to think about.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Converting a gravity toilet to Pressure Assist just isn't done.
The tank and bowl should match.

It the old bowl is either a 3.5 or 5.0, then the 1 to 1.6 gallons from a pressure assist wouldn't be nearly enough.

On Sound:

Perception is quite a bit.

Sneak up on someone in the kitchen, and even though you are doing it quietly, it's still a surprise.

Pressure assist toilets are harder to maintain, so yes, there is a reason that plumbers prefer to sell something that is easy to keep running.

Last edited:

Scott

Flushmate
Reaction score
Website
www.flushmate.com
I'm not sure what's "harder to maintain" about a pressure-assist toilet. There's an inlet, an outlet, and a method of actuation, just like any gravity toilet. A significant reduction in water pressure may affect the performance but again, this could be true with a gravity toilet.

It's that darned "Perception" word again.

RRW

Reaction score
I think the problem with the pressure flush toilets is rather a case of experience than perception. They seem to break down fairly often and are hard and/or expensive to repair, at least thats my "perception".

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It's a lot easier to hold a little water against gravity in a tank than hold water at the line pressure of the water system.

D

dc_homeplumber

I tend to think that water quality may also be a big issue with the pressure assist toilets. When you consider the damage that chemicals in water can do to the basic toilet tank guts (flapper, seals, etc.), it stands to reason that it would wreak havoc on the more sophisticated components of the pressure assist tanks.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
We have moderately hard water here ( about 15 grains per gallon). I have had a Mansfield Quantum with Sloan Flushmate for about 14 years. Usual replacements of cartridge and supply assembly. Quarterly I dump vinegar inside to seep thru the rim holes. Toilet still works fine.

jaywalsh31

Reaction score
My 2 cents. I believe most have a 10 year warranty threw sloan. I've called them about 8 times, given them model number and serial. Address etc.. always got free replacement parts every time. Half the time threw recalls, the rest threw warranty. 18009825839

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; they don't fail frequently or clog very often, having a negative impact in their cash-flow?

PA toilets are more costly, and time intensive to repair when they DO fail, so our cash flow does not really suffer. Replacing a pressure tank EIGHT times, even for multiple toilets is NOT "infrequent".

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Does anyone know of a kit that can be purchased to convert it to a pressure flush tolet?

No.
Scott didn't really address it above, but the toilets that use pressure assist have a bowl that is designed to work with it.
Your standard gravity bowl works in a different way and can't be used with a pressure unit.

Also, if the bowl is pre 1992, then it may require 3.5 gallons, or older than the mid 80's, as much as five gallons or ten gallons.
A pressure unit comes in a 1.1 gallon and a 1.6 gallon. Not near enough for the old bowls.

A really good toilet can be had for $200 in gravity versions now. It makes no sense to cobble together non matching parts trying to achieve what has already been done.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Maybe there's a reason Toto doesn't make a pressure assist toilet. A well designed gravity toilet will flush at least as well, and in some ways better. In particular, no shredded bits to TP left floating in the bowl.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks