converting pool light to LED, need transformer.

Users who are viewing this thread

BNDAZ

Reaction score
Have and old pool light that has been leaking and throwing the GFI.
It runs off of normal household current and is wired as such.
Ive decided to change over to LED and have found a good sealed unit, but i need a transformer.

this is what i need as told to me by the sellar of the light:
"The supply needed is either 12 volts AC or DC, the lights will work fine with either, although if more than 2 are installed it must be AC to allow them to synchronize correctly. These larger 546 LED lights draw about 2 amps max or around 25 watts per light. You can use a supply with a higher wattage rating as long as the voltage output is 12 volts. I have been advised that the Intermatic brand of transformers is one of many brands of power supplies supplied in the US which are suitable and may be one option."
So the intermatics are separate boxes and seem to be geared towards landscape lighting, and a little pricy. I understand this is a safety thing, i dont want to skimp merely to skimp but it seems i should have other options. I.E
Rather than add another box to the system, id rather Hard-wire a transformer into the Jbox, but i can really find a suitable transformer i think i just don't know where to look or exactly what im looking for.

suggestions?

Vegas_sparky

Digital Billy
Reaction score
Watts and VA(volt amps) are almost equal after calculations. If you can find a 12V/ 40va door bell xfmr, or control power xfmr, you'll be good to go.

If you have access to an electrical supply house, they have some very compact devices, which will fit in even a single gang box. I think I have one in my truck, and can take a pic when I get a chance.

BNDAZ

Reaction score
Thanks very much ! Ill take a look, there is and electrical supply house up the road.
My biggest concern is that this is safe.
As it is, the power comes from the panel and runs to a GFI outlet, form there it runs to a and then to the light. Plan would be to put the transformer in line between the switch and the light.
Is that the correct manner to wire this?

Also, the light is 2 wire, how do i accommodate, or do i need to, ground?

Last edited by a moderator:

Vegas_sparky

Digital Billy
Reaction score
Keep the new xfmr fed from the GFCI/switch(as you stated). Your existing light niche should be bonded(min#8 iirc), and that will suffice with the new class 2 fixture.

JerryR

Reaction score
Buy the proper transformer designed for the pool ight application. Intermatic boxes are tried and true.

Here is one example. "These Safety Transformers are specifically designed to supply 12-Volt to pool/spa lights, submersible fixtures and outdoor garden lights. A grounded shield between the primary and secondary windings assures safe operation and the built-in circuit protection will disconnect power to the transformer in case of defect or overload. 300-Watt Beige Steel Enclosure."

http://www.intermatic.com/~/media/I...alty Controls/PX Series/PX300 and PX300S.ashx

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks