Converting Light Fixture Box To Powered Outlet

Discussion in 'Electrical Forum discussion & Blog' started by Kiko, Jan 31, 2011.

1. Kiko

Kiko New Member

What's the most elegant way of doing this, without replacing the round light box with a standard receptacle box? It's in a living room, so I really don't want to use one of those ugly, gray metal "work box" receptacle covers that the hardware stores recommend. After wiring in the receptacle, can I just screw the receptacle into the existing box and then screw a nice 5" round decorative outlet cover to the receptacle?
  2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

If you can find a decorative round cover, it should be fine.
  3. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

You will probably need a "round grey work box plate" to adapt to the receptacle. Once that is done, you use any wall plate that covers the opening over the receptacle.
  4. Kiko

Kiko New Member

That's exactly what I ended up doing. Without the round gray workbox adapter, the receptacle doesn't screw in properly to the round light box. Then I searched all over for a very oversized single-gang outlet cover in white. I found one at an old, Ma and Pa hardware store near me.