converting from a wall hung toilet to a floor toilet

Users who are viewing this thread

thisoldtoilet

Reaction score
Hello,

My partner and I bought an older bank-repo house which has some major repair needs.

We enjoy 'doing ourselves' but are somewhat intimidated by the next project - converting a pair of back to back (t-mount in the wall between the two bathrooms) wall hung toilets (literally date-stamep 1960) to floor mounted toilets in a slab foundation house (also built 1960).

We have had the depth of the soil line checked, and apparently the 'fall' is sufficient enough to handle the loss of elevation when we convert to floor venting toilets.

I am wondering if anyone can advise us as to what we face after we 1. take the toilets off the wall, 2. take the wall appart to expose the plumbing, 3. jackhammer round the base to expose the point at which the wall plumbing goes below the surface of the slab.

I don't know if I can expect a single (4"?) pipe to just continue downward to the soil pipe (which I think they measured at 48" down. And if this is the case, what are the basic steps to replumbing this for floor toilets.

Thanks for your experience and advice.
Best,
K

Shacko

Master Plumber-Gas Fitter
Reaction score
You have to bust it up before that can be answered, before knowing what is there you only get a guess.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
There could be MANY reasons why you could not do it once you open the floor. But WHY would you want to get rid of the wall hung toilets, unless you want to change to some exotic floor mount, which is usually NOT done when "flipping" a house.

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
Wall hung toilets are great.
They're considered higher class.
They're easier to clean around.
They're harder to plan out and build.
I can understand wanting to replace 50year old fixtures.
I cannot see why you'd get rid of wall mounts.

Key words to use in web searches:
carrier
wall carrier
"wall hung"
"wall mount"

Hidden in-wall Carriers are made by Geberit, Caroma and others.
The bowl is bolted to them.

Hidden means it's behind drywall or tile.
You still have access to all parts and stop valves, through the flush plate, which is numskull easy to remove.

Hope this helps motivate you to spend more on carriers and toilets instead of on new drains and new concrete. Figure out how to keep the plumbing as is.

Esquire

Plumber
Reaction score
American Standard (and I'm sure other companies too) make tiolets that are rear draining but floor mounted. So if you want a modern looking residental tiolet just get one of those. You get the new tiolet with same plumbing. It's win win in my opinion.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Unless the carrier inlet is positioned at EXACTLY the height for a rear discharge toilet, the carrier will not work, and it would have to be modified to provide the toilet flange needed. I think you have fewer toilet choices with rear outlet than with a wall hung version.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks