Converting an old Adobe Wall into a new tiled shower wall - How to plan step by step

Discussion in 'Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog' started by johnfrwhipple, Jun 4, 2013.

1. johnfrwhipple

johnfrwhipple Bathroom Design & Build - North Vancouver, B.C.

Post(s) removed by John Whipple
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2014
  2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

wall

Adobe is just dried mud, so unless you create a perfectly waterproof cement substrate over it, it will disintegrate as soon as it gets wet.
  3. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

If thinset will stick to it, I'd take panels of Kerdiboard, put some significant piles of thinset on it, then like you might spot a tile on a wall, treat the Kerdiboard panel like a huge tile to get the wall perfectly flat, plumb, and ready for tiling. You'll need a long level to ensure you don't warp the panel when 'setting' it to the wall as you press it into the piles of thinset. They have a video on the Schluter YouTube account showing just this to ready a tiled wall over an uneven cement wall. If thinset won't stick reliably...I'd have to think about it. Since they often put stucco over adobe (if I remember correctly), thinset should work.
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2013
  4. johnfrwhipple

johnfrwhipple Bathroom Design & Build - North Vancouver, B.C.

Post(s) removed by John Whipple
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2014