Converting a tub/shower to shower only

Users who are viewing this thread

JOKA1960

Reaction score
I am in the process of remodling our 2nd flr hallway bath and have taken out the cast iron tub which had a tub drain that is a 1 1/2 inch P trap to a 2 inch (waste) pipe. I have come off the 1 1/2 P-trap back to 2 inch pipe about 2 1/2 feet to a 45 degree elbow to center the drain for the shower pan that will be installed by my tile installer.This was the easier and simpler way to go but want to make sure this will not be a draining problem once installation of shower is complete, I have taken a gallon or so pitcher of water and dumped it into the new drain a few times and seems to be fine. Does the drain need to be angled back to the P-trap because it is currently pretty level and if I raise the angle the drain and floor will be quite high?? Do I need to have a P-trap at the center and not at the back where it is now if so this poses a problem because I have some hot and cold water pipes running across where the P-trap would be centered?? If I was not clear on anything or if you have questions for me please let me know.Thanks for your help it is greatly valued and appreciated.

LonnythePlumber

Plumber, Contractor, Attorney
Reaction score
P under Drain

The P trap needs to be under the drain fitting. The drain strainer, tailpiece, trap and drain arm all need to be 2". You may need to move water pipes.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The drain horizontal pieces should slope 1/4"/ft. down to the outlet.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks