converting a Toto from an E-Max to a G-Max flush

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by Jtrap, Sep 11, 2011.

1. Jtrap

Jtrap New Member

I want to convert a Toto E-Max flush toilet to a G-Max flush.
    I am looking at purchasing the Toto MS854114ELG UltraMax although I think this should be true of all Toto E-Max toilets.
    This toilet has every feature I want, but I am partly concerned it is an E-Max 1.2Gal flush instead of a G-Max 1.6Gal flush. Do you know if it is possible (in the future) for me to replace the innner workings (fill valve, flapper, etc) with the G-Max inner workings and effectively have a G-Max?
    Please let me know. Thanks...
  2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

First, I think you are being overly concerned, but there are two ways to get more water during a flush...hold the handle down longer - this will potentially release all of the water in the tank, maybe in the order of 3-gallons, less if you let it up earlier; or, either replace the flapper or remove the float. If you are getting a rebate for installing a low flow toilet, this amounts to fraud if you modify it to use more.

You have those options as a fall-back, but I don't think you'll need them.
  3. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

Toto has spend a ton of money designing their toilets to work. Don't try to second guess those engineers. Leave the thing alone. The 1.28 toilets work very well, in fact, it is widely believed that these will be the new standard in the near future.