Converting 5600SXT from carbon to Chemsorb

Users who are viewing this thread

diggity

Reaction score
Long story short, I think I need to rebed my 1.5 cuft catalytic carbon tank with Chemsorb or some other zeolite media. The carbon just isn't cutting it for removing oxidized iron particles. I think Chemsorb is denser than carbon, so I'm assuming I'd need to increase the backflow rate, which is currently set to 5 gpm (which I know only because there is a little handwritten sticker on the backflow fitting which says "5 gpm"). I read through the manual, but I don't see a way to change the backflow rate. As always, any advice is appreciated!

Reach4

Reaction score
The DLFC controls that, and I think 7 GPM is the biggest available for the 5600SXT.

The cross section of a 10 inch thank is 0.545 sqft. So 7 GPM should give 12.8 GPM/sqft. Your 5 GPM gives 9.17 GPM/sqft. When you read about the backwashing rates for media, they are usually given in GPM/sqft unless they are in metric.

Last edited:

diggity

Reaction score
OK, I found info on Chemsorb which says it only requires 5 gpm/sqft for backwash. So I guess I'm good leaving it as-is. Thanks Reach4!

Bannerman

Reaction score
Five gpm for Chemsorb, is the minimum backwash rate.

This chart specifies 6.5 gpm as the average backwash rate (between minimum and the max (optimal ?) rate) so it appears that 8 gpm could be optimal in a 10" diameter tank. http://www.purewaterproducts.com/articles/backwash-chart

This site which sells a 1.5 cuft Chemsorb system, specifies a 10 gpm backwash rate. http://www.qualitywatertreatment.com/Fleck2510AutoBackwashChemSorbSedimentFilter15-idv-1716-112.html

5 gpm is the midpoint rate for a 10" GAC tank. Before re-bedding, you might try a higher rate for your older catalytic carbon as adsorbtion will have caused the media to be heavier than when it was new. As the media is heavier, it will require a higher backwash rate to restore the same amount of bed expansion as was initially utilized.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks