Convert shower to bath - tricky space

Users who are viewing this thread

HousePoor

Reaction score
Hello, I currently have a shower space that is 42"x42" stud-to-stud, and am trying to figure out how to install a bathtub in the space. Can I get a 72x42 tub and place it in the opening? The diagram of the space is attached. I found a Kohler Windward tub that has tile flanges on 4 sides, which will work where the walls will surround the tub (on 2 1/2 sides), but I wasn't sure what to do where the tub will be exposed to the room?

Attachments

• Bathroom space.PNG
    Bathroom space.PNG
    14.7 KB · Views: 728

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You can get the tub as a drop-in, then get their tiling flange kit. Apply it where needed. If you install it properly, it should be fine, but it is less robust than having it built-in at the factory.

HousePoor

Reaction score
Thanks - that looks like it will work. Now, can I get a 42" wide tub for an exactly 42" stud-to-stud opening and notch out the studs 1/8"? If not I will have to build a ledge and get a 36" wide tub, I suppose, which will increase the effort quite a bit it seems.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Depends maybe more on how square and plumb the opening is. Most of the tubs are a hair under the 'nominal' dimension. It should be fairly quick to notch the studs, if required, either with a router, or a saw and chisel. SHouldn't need much, if any.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks