Convert shower to bath - tricky space

Discussion in 'Shower & bathtub Forum & Blog' started by HousePoor, May 9, 2011.

1. HousePoor

HousePoor New Member

Hello, I currently have a shower space that is 42"x42" stud-to-stud, and am trying to figure out how to install a bathtub in the space. Can I get a 72x42 tub and place it in the opening? The diagram of the space is attached. I found a Kohler Windward tub that has tile flanges on 4 sides, which will work where the walls will surround the tub (on 2 1/2 sides), but I wasn't sure what to do where the tub will be exposed to the room?

Attached Files:

2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

You can get the tub as a drop-in, then get their tiling flange kit. Apply it where needed. If you install it properly, it should be fine, but it is less robust than having it built-in at the factory.
  3. HousePoor

HousePoor New Member

Thanks - that looks like it will work. Now, can I get a 42" wide tub for an exactly 42" stud-to-stud opening and notch out the studs 1/8"? If not I will have to build a ledge and get a 36" wide tub, I suppose, which will increase the effort quite a bit it seems.
  4. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Depends maybe more on how square and plumb the opening is. Most of the tubs are a hair under the 'nominal' dimension. It should be fairly quick to notch the studs, if required, either with a router, or a saw and chisel. SHouldn't need much, if any.