Control box and pump need help.

Users who are viewing this thread

tomtran

Reaction score
I did some searching. The S10KS10231 is the a member of the Sta-rite SKS series. It is the stainless steel version of the SK series. Your pump is a "10 GPM" 1 HP pump. I think your pump was made in November of 2013.

Your 86 gallon pressure tank is bigger than average, and that is very good. It is easy to see why you get that 2 minute run time.
Drawdown Gallons @ 30-50 PSI 26.58
Drawdown Gallons @ 40-60 PSI 23.03
would you clear for me I stay with 1hp what I had right now or I go made then put same pump 1.5 hp like what I had before

Reach4

Reaction score
I would prefer the 1 HP pump you got. It will give you about 12 GPM and it should last longer than a bigger pump.

tomtran

Reaction score
ok i stay 1hp pump I had .I end up my post here thanks for your guys a lot. I will post some picture more after job is total done. Thank again

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Was the old pump an SK model like the new one? I don't think those pumps are as good as a regular submersible well pump. They are made to pump effluent water like from a storage tank. And if you were using enough water with the old pump that the pressure stayed at 40 PSI and the pump did not cycle off, then you need that large of a pump. You will have less pressure and less flow with the smaller pump, and I don't think you will be happy.

There is no problem using a large pump to do a large job. The cycling problem that destroys the pump happens when you have a large pump doing small jobs. That is what a Cycle Stop Valve does. It keeps the large pump from cycling while you are doing small watering jobs, and makes the pump last many times longer than normal.

Everybody wants you to put in a smaller pump so it won't cycle so much and will last longer. But with the smaller pump you will have even less pressure and flow when needing to irrigate or do large watering jobs. With a larger pump you would have more flow and better pressure for irrigating and stuff, then the CSV would make it work like a small pump when needed, which makes the pump last a long time.

tomtran

Reaction score
Was the old pump an SK model like the new one? I don't think those pumps are as good as a regular submersible well pump. They are made to pump effluent water like from a storage tank. And if you were using enough water with the old pump that the pressure stayed at 40 PSI and the pump did not cycle off, then you need that large of a pump. You will have less pressure and less flow with the smaller pump, and I don't think you will be happy.

There is no problem using a large pump to do a large job. The cycling problem that destroys the pump happens when you have a large pump doing small jobs. That is what a Cycle Stop Valve does. It keeps the large pump from cycling while you are doing small watering jobs, and makes the pump last many times longer than normal.

Everybody wants you to put in a smaller pump so it won't cycle so much and will last longer. But with the smaller pump you will have even less pressure and flow when needing to irrigate or do large watering jobs. With a larger pump you would have more flow and better pressure for irrigating and stuff, then the CSV would make it work like a small pump when needed, which makes the pump last a long time.
your sound right to me, and thank you so munch for your post. When I hire them I don't even know there company they just family owner,i told them I had 1 1/2 hp pump ,they say too big, and I told them I used much water, because I leave in my house I know they don't belive,told them many times they still do there way, no one want pay for any thing they don't like
I tell them install CSV on my system well man say they put thousand in and remove thousand out he say I don't need CSV
Pump they give me 100% made in china .it had plastic screen middle of pump it will block very easy because I got hard water over here
when I need water the pump run it take long time to stop,i tell them water weak he set pressure swich 40 psi start 75 psi stop(75psi make 1 hp oversea pump don't last long as I short thinking)
will tell them install 1 1/2 pump back on today they made fell very bad to complain about the pump .would you and everyone here stay with me unit I had final thank a lot website here ,

Last edited:

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Plastic screen is common. Screen in the middle of pump is not the SK. SK has screen at the bottom.

If your pump is building pressure and shutting off while you are irrigating and using a lot of water, then the pump is plenty big enough. If the pressure just stays low like 30 to 40 PSI while you are irrigating, then you could use a bigger pump.

Widening the pressure switch bandwidth to 40/75 is how many people try to slow down pump cycling. But when you are irrigating and the pressure just stays low, increasing the pressure switch shut off point will not help increase the pressure. And it doesn't help much to go to 1.5HP if you stay with a 10 GPM pump. You would want to go with a 15 to 18 GPM pump on the 1.5 HP motor if you need more water.

But remember, when you put in a big enough pump to have good pressure while irrigating, the big pump will cycle on/off a lot when you are not using very much water. That is when a CSV is important, as it will make the big pump work like a little pump when you need it to.

And I am sorry but anyone who removes CSV's from systems doesn't understand how they work and how important they are. People who know how their CSV works would quickly replace it if it went bad, because they can see what it does and know how important it is.

We have one pump company in our town that removes every CSV on systems they work on. Then the irrigation guys have to come back an put another CSV on later so the pump doesn't cycle itself to death when running the small irrigation zones or the house. Needless to say that pump company doesn't have a very good reputation with the irrigation guys or the home owners.

Reach4

Reaction score
Tomtran, do you have a photo of the pump that was put in?

40/75 is bad for the pressure tank. It is designed for a 20 PSI differential, not 25.

tomtran

Reaction score
Tomtran, do you have a photo of the pump that was put in?

40/75 is bad for the pressure tank. It is designed for a 20 PSI differential, not 25.
sorry I did not get picture because well man was there I don't want make him think bad, but I had model of the pump it kind cheap looking {model s10ks10231 brand STA-RITE

tomtran

Reaction score
sorry I did not get picture because well man was there I don't want make him think bad, but I had model of the pump it kind cheap looking {model s10ks10231 brand STA-RITE
I do google did not see any piture come up

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Did it look like this?
Sta_Rite_Well_Pump_1HP_10GPM_230V_3Wire__89832.jpg

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
That is a regular water well submersible. I think they are better than the SK effluent type pump. But you still need one large enough to irrigate the way you want.

tomtran

Reaction score
I went to talk to them today, boss not there ,I talk with secretary ,they will give me answer soon

Reach4

Reaction score
I went to talk to them today, boss not there ,I talk with secretary ,they will give me answer soon

You have not said that the current pump does not keep up with your water use. Do you want to say that?

tomtran

Reaction score
I told se
You have not said that the current pump does not keep up with your water use. Do you want to say that?[/QUO
I told secretary every thing about my problem. They will had answer for me soon
but the boss was text me message on phone he say ( you do not come here your pressure is great and I am gone) that not nice as I understand

Last edited:

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Depending on what the water level drops down to, that pumps is a little off the curve for a 190 foot depth.

tomtran

Reaction score
Depending on what the water level drops down to, that pumps is a little off the curve for a 190 foot depth.
from the ground to water level in well 110 ft and from the ground to bottom of the well 270 ft and the pump @ 180 ft

tomtran

Reaction score
the boss text me to my phone after I went to his company
he say ***you do not come here your pressure is great and I am gone***
that not nice as I understand.
all I want same size my pump .same water flow .I don't know why he mean .now I fell I hire wrong company to work on my well
should I move on stay with 1 hp pump less water flow and pay bill .or I keep telling them until they com fix my problem, I scare after they fix problem and some thing go wrong with the well they come fix for me no more .

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
I don't recall you mentioning what GPM your old pump had. Look at the tables and curves on the following doc.
http://www.sta-rite.com/resources/images/26112.pdf

At 110 feet, the 1.5HP 10 GPM pump is off the curve. Unless you had a 20 GPM pump before, the 1 HP 10 GPM is sized right. If you have pressure loss at high flow, either your plumbing is to blame or you are drawing too much water for what the pump is designed for.

Selection_006.jpg

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
I hope that is not the only pump company in your area. That one obviously doesn't know what he is doing and doesn't care if you are happy with your water. If you have not paid for the pump yet, find another pump company who will put in the 20 GPM, 1.5 HP that you want, and just take the 1HP pump back and leave it on the doorstep of the old pump company. He is not going to come help you when you need it next time anyway. Time to find a new pump company.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks