Continuous drain flow, water softener

Users who are viewing this thread

wikid

Reaction score
Hello all. I have a rainsoft silver series softner. The drain hose that i guess flushes out system when doing a regen just keeps dripping. I had this issue a year or two back and cleaned out the valves where it opens and closes to let the water drain and it worked. I did this once again and it still continues to drip. I dont see anything out of the ordinary and an engineer by trade but this ones got me stumped. Anyone have any ideas? Gladly appreciated.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
I believe that unit uses a piston/seal/spacer design. A slow drip to the drain usually indicates a worn seal or a damaged piston. These should be replaced as a kit.

Reach4

Reaction score
Hello all. I have a rainsoft silver series softner. The drain hose that i guess flushes out system when doing a regen just keeps dripping. I had this issue a year or two back and cleaned out the valves where it opens and closes to let the water drain and it worked. I did this once again and it still continues to drip. I dont see anything out of the ordinary and an engineer by trade but this ones got me stumped. Anyone have any ideas? Gladly appreciated.

I would consider a whole house sediment filter. That should help your new rebuild kit from getting scratched up. Maybe just going through the motions of rebuilding would help. I have never done a rebuild on a piston valve unit. I have cleaned the flappers on an old Autotrol.

Also, I would consider flushing my water heater. The softener probably takes out most stuff, but maybe not. I had a lot of small rock and sand and crud in my WH when I flushed it. The gas valve for the WH had about 10 or so years on it. The whole water heater was probably replaced at that time, but I am not sure. So either the softener was in bypass a lot, or the softener was installed later. And I doubt that. Anyway, flushing is a DIY thing. There are suggestions if you want to consider that. Crud flushed out of the WH would be motivation for the whole-house filter I think.

wikid

Reaction score
Dittohead, you talking about those rings and that piston that opens and closes the unit? WOuld you be able to assist where i can find that parts manual?

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
A photo would help as Rainsoft did a few types of Silver series.
It could be the Fleck 5000 valve and if that is the case the piston and seal pack assemblies can be bought at different places on line.
Then it is find the book for the Fleck 5000 or ProFlo and the parts and take an after noon to read and rebuild the valve.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks