Continually clogging kitchen faucet

Users who are viewing this thread

Raeiken

Reaction score
My kitchen sink faucet keeps getting clogged with some sort of small white chunks. When I clean them out, I can smash them between my fingers. It only takes a day or two until the water flow is greatly diminished again.

Any ideas of where I should start looking, or what this may be?

My shower upstairs does seem to be losing a little flow, but nothing as dramatic as the kitchen.

Thanks,
Ron

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
Sounds like water heater crud. Try draining the WH a little and see if a) it drains at all, and if it does, b) if there are little balls of crud in there.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Place some in vinegar, let it sit for an hour, and tell us if they dissolve.

Raeiken

Reaction score
Water Heater Crud

Looks like that was a good call on the water heater crud. I opened up the valve on the bottom into a five gallon bucket. It took a second to get going, and then a lot of the same crud that I have seen in the faucet came out.

I drained about 10 buckets and was still getting some of the crud. Should I just keep doing this until it clears, or should I think about a new water heater?

We've been in the house for 9 years and I'm not sure how old the water heater is. It is a 75 gallon A.O Smith model

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
It's time for a pro to respond, but I'd drain it all (be sure the power is off) and flush out the crud. Then pull the anode rod and have a look. Very likely it's pretty-well eaten up.

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
Again, give Cass's thread a look. It might be helpful.

There can be more than just one answer........

Raeiken

Reaction score
Vinegar

I am going to be out of town the next few days, but when I get back there should be some more crud in the faucet, and I will put in vinegar and see what happens.

Raeiken

Reaction score
No Dissolve

I put the crud in Vinegar but it didn't dissolve. What does that tell me?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Dip tube maybe. This is a plastic tube that directs the incoming cold water to the bottom of the hot water heater so you don't mix it and end up with a tank of tepid water right away.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Sounds like the dip tube is bad. You can keep flushing and cleaning till it goes away. You may want to replace the heater. How many gallons is the heater? How much hot water(showers,laundry,ect.) do you get B4 it starts to get cool?

Raeiken

Reaction score
Deciding

I haven't noticed any problems with running out of hot water. This is a 75 gallon hot water heater. It is at least 10 years old, because that is how long we have been in the house. I may look into a dip tube, or I might just replace it given that it is at least 10 years old. I think it is probably more like 14 years old. Should I just replace given the age?

Thanks,
Ron

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
From what I read, it would be a rare HW tank that lasted as long as yours; happens, though. Hard to say what to expect. IF you can get the fitting off without compromising the tank, a dip tube probably isn't very expensive. It might last awhile longer. If the white crud doesn't disolve in acid (vinegar), then it is likely th edip tube.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks