Considering

Users who are viewing this thread

viennamicro

Reaction score
I am considering a wirlpool (therapeutic) hot tub for my home. Any suggestions?

Background:

- Moderate arthritis in back. Rode a 2x8 two floors to a sudden stop and stood up 1.5 inches shorter.
- Significant abdominal scarring from old war wounds.
- Like a deep, penetrating heat/massage. Find the concept of extra bubbles in a tub disturbing - consider air jets suspect.
- Not interested in a "community" style hot tub for me and ten of my best friends. Just want one big enough for me (maybe two).
- Will be installed in the basement so it needs to fit through the existing 32" doorway.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
If this needs to fit through a 32" door and then down stairs, your choices will be very limited. This will not be what I would call a "hot tub" but a whirlpool tub, available from Jacuzzi brand, American Standard, Kohler, etc.

There are water jetted and air jetted. You need to do the research to find which is suitable for what you are wanting.

You will need to consider your water requirements. If your water heater is on the small side, you will not be able to fill the tub with hot water, so be sure to include the heater option in you selection. That brings up the need to install a dedicated circuit to the tub location.

For planning purposes, consider this: A water heater set to 140 degrees will deliver 70% of its gallon capacity before the temp goes below about 100º. This means a 40 gallon tank will give you 28 gallons, not enough to fill a tub.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks