Connection question

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by fatdaddy, Sep 30, 2008.

1. fatdaddy

fatdaddy New Member

I am removing my sink drain assembly and all went well until the last bit,
    where the drain goes into the wall. The line looks like it goes into a brass piece that has threads on the outside and screws into a galvanized elbow.
    It does not budge!! As you can see,I am losing anything to bite into,so I have stopped and will ask here.Thanks in advance.
    Alan

Attached Files:

2. fatdaddy

fatdaddy New Member

Connection problem--second request!

:rolleyes:
    Just hanging around for some free advice.Not being pushy.
  3. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Did they solder that in?

Try scratching it to see.
    If it's soldered, you may need to reheat it.

It's supposed to be installed with either a brass ferrel sleeve, or a rubber slip joint washer.
  4. nhmaster

nhmaster Master Plumber

Sure looks soldered to me. Someone run out of washers?
  5. fatdaddy

fatdaddy New Member

It was soldered into the threaded brass piece that

was then screwed into the threaded (female) fitting. It looks like a galvanized fitting with lead-wiped pipe connection. I tried heat but chickend out--not wanting to burn the house down.
    I used a chisel to remove the existing connections and have purchased a galvanized nipple and pvc trap.
    Wish me luck!
  6. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

brass

It is a solder bushing adapter. You have to remove the tubular piece, then cut the brass piece out of the fitting, then install a new adapter.