Connection of Water Intake Pipes to Shower Valve

Users who are viewing this thread

KevinAndrews

Reaction score
I am installing a Moen 3570 valve (http://www.moen.com/m-pact/moentrol-r-1-2-cc-connection-includes-stops/_/R-CONSUMER%3A3570) in a bathroom.

The existing hot / cold 1/2" copper pipes are running vertically out of the floor, only around 7" apart. That means that if I use 2 90degree FTG Elbows (http://www.homedepot.com/p/Mueller-Streamline-1-2-in-Copper-Pressure-90-Degree-FTG-x-C-Street-Elbow-W-01652H/100348183), I will be barely able to fit the valve in, without any modifications.

The documentation for 3570 is silent on whether this is allowed. However, other documentations on the Moen's site suggest the water pipes coming out of the floor should be running parallel, 12"-18" apart. So, both the hot and cold pipes would need a 3"-5" horizontal pipe (from a 90degree elbow) before entering the valve.

I hope this is clear. Naturally, I would prefer the easier solution, if it does not cause noise / pressure / other problems.

Any insight on this project would be appreciated.

KevinAndrews

Reaction score
You can use a pair of 45's to get more distance between the pipes before they reach the shower valve.

Thank you. I actually have enough clearance to connect a pair of street 90 degree elbows to the valve and do not "need" to get more distance. The question really is whether I "should" do it (i.e. any benefit to it)?! If I get more distance between the risers and the valves, then I need a small hortizontal pipe between the 90 elbow and the valve intake.

Thanks

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Whatever it takes.

You can run the pipe in circles if needed.

They're saying "In a perfect world." it would be nice to have them with that kind of spread.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Fittings are more expensive than straight pipe. Extra changes of direction do slow things down some, but in this application, shouldn't be an issue.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks