Connection of Water Intake Pipes to Shower Valve

Discussion in 'Shower & bathtub Forum & Blog' started by KevinAndrews, May 16, 2013.

1. KevinAndrews

KevinAndrews New Member

I am installing a Moen 3570 valve (http://www.moen.com/m-pact/moentrol-r-1-2-cc-connection-includes-stops/_/R-CONSUMER%3A3570) in a bathroom.

The existing hot / cold 1/2" copper pipes are running vertically out of the floor, only around 7" apart. That means that if I use 2 90degree FTG Elbows (http://www.homedepot.com/p/Mueller-Streamline-1-2-in-Copper-Pressure-90-Degree-FTG-x-C-Street-Elbow-W-01652H/100348183), I will be barely able to fit the valve in, without any modifications.

The documentation for 3570 is silent on whether this is allowed. However, other documentations on the Moen's site suggest the water pipes coming out of the floor should be running parallel, 12"-18" apart. So, both the hot and cold pipes would need a 3"-5" horizontal pipe (from a 90degree elbow) before entering the valve.

I hope this is clear. Naturally, I would prefer the easier solution, if it does not cause noise / pressure / other problems.

Any insight on this project would be appreciated.
  2. cacher_chick

cacher_chick Test, Don't Guess!

You can use a pair of 45's to get more distance between the pipes before they reach the shower valve.
  3. KevinAndrews

KevinAndrews New Member

Thank you. I actually have enough clearance to connect a pair of street 90 degree elbows to the valve and do not "need" to get more distance. The question really is whether I "should" do it (i.e. any benefit to it)?! If I get more distance between the risers and the valves, then I need a small hortizontal pipe between the 90 elbow and the valve intake.

Thanks
  4. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Whatever it takes.

You can run the pipe in circles if needed.

They're saying "In a perfect world." it would be nice to have them with that kind of spread.
  5. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Fittings are more expensive than straight pipe. Extra changes of direction do slow things down some, but in this application, shouldn't be an issue.