Connecting Vanity drain to Unthreaded metallic drain pipe sticking out of the wall...

Users who are viewing this thread

BrianBrian

Reaction score
Hi,

This is one of the times I could kick myself.... I wish I had taken pictures of the old vanity and connections before I threw them out, so now I had a way to put things back together! :D

The picture I have attached should show it all. I have inserted a 1 1/2" slip joint connector in the drain pipe sticking out of the wall to help show the exact dimension of it. The drain pipe coming out of the wall is not threaded, either.

The 1 1/2" drain pipe assemblies I find at my local Home Improvement center all expect threaded connections coming out of the wall.

I had found a 1 1/2" slip joint coupling at my local home improvement store and thought of using it. However, the drain pipe's diameter is too large and the coupling does not slip on...

Thank you for your help.

Attachments

• drainpipe.jpg
    drainpipe.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 863

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If that's copper coming out of the wall, Nibco makes a sweat on trap adapter.

nibco_trap_adapter_copper_1.jpg

Or you may need to go with coupling with hose clamps.

They also make "Marvel" rings that can be soldered on.

nibco_marvel_ring.jpg

Marvel Ring

BrianBrian

Reaction score
Thank you, Terry. What size trap adaptor do you believe would work?! I am thrown off by the fact that the existing drain pipe (which I thought was 1 1/2") is a bit too wide for the 1 1/2" slip joint coupling I found and also can take in the 1 1/2" slip joint connector pipe (as in the photo)... Do you think the 1 1/2" trap adaptor would work?

It still make me wonder what used to be there?! It wasn't definitely a fernco coupling. But, for the life of me, I can't remember exactly how it was done.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Slip joint couplings are a smaller dimension. A 1.5" p-trap will fit "into" a standard sized DWV pipe.
So if you have 1.5" copper from the wall, it's OD will be 1-5/8" and the ID will be 1.5"
A sweat on marvel ring or sweat on trap adapter will be made for 1.5" copper pipe.

When the trap adapter is installed, the trap will slide into the wall pipe, and snug up with the slip joint connection.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks