Connecting two solar HW panels

Discussion in 'Solar and Geothermal Water Heating Forum' started by millerputnam, Feb 20, 2013.

1. millerputnam

millerputnam New Member

I have two 4 x 10 panels from the 80's and I'm in the process of repairing them. They have 1" headers. I am going to put them on a pivoting frame to adjust the angle as the sun changes position. Is there a method of connecting the two panels without sweating the 1" headers together. I read somewhere about using silicone tubing. I worry about a little movement as I change the tilt angle and most of my repair has been on the ends of the header pipe where the roofers removing them buggered them up. I hope some of you guys will have some suggestions. Thanks
  2. Raspy

Raspy New Member

You didn't mention your working pressure, but if it's a drainback system with low pressure you can use fluorosilicone hose. It's very flexible and can take stagnation temps. A little movement over time can damage collectors that are rigidly piped together. They crack at the first tee inside the box where the header meets the fin tube.