Connecting two solar HW panels

Users who are viewing this thread

millerputnam

Reaction score
I have two 4 x 10 panels from the 80's and I'm in the process of repairing them. They have 1" headers. I am going to put them on a pivoting frame to adjust the angle as the sun changes position. Is there a method of connecting the two panels without sweating the 1" headers together. I read somewhere about using silicone tubing. I worry about a little movement as I change the tilt angle and most of my repair has been on the ends of the header pipe where the roofers removing them buggered them up. I hope some of you guys will have some suggestions. Thanks

Raspy

Reaction score
You didn't mention your working pressure, but if it's a drainback system with low pressure you can use fluorosilicone hose. It's very flexible and can take stagnation temps. A little movement over time can damage collectors that are rigidly piped together. They crack at the first tee inside the box where the header meets the fin tube.

protech

Master plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.protechplumbing.biz
I have two 4 x 10 panels from the 80's and I'm in the process of repairing them. They have 1" headers. I am going to put them on a pivoting frame to adjust the angle as the sun changes position. Is there a method of connecting the two panels without sweating the 1" headers together. I read somewhere about using silicone tubing. I worry about a little movement as I change the tilt angle and most of my repair has been on the ends of the header pipe where the roofers removing them buggered them up. I hope some of you guys will have some suggestions. Thanks
Without knowing where the system in located geographically and what kind of system it is (active-direct, passive direct, active indirect glycol, active indirect drain aback, integrated collector-storage, etc etc) there is no way to answer your question. We need more info.

As a general shot from the hip answer, it is unwise and counter productive to use tracking systems on solar water heaters.

www.leakdetectionwinterhaven.com

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks