Connecting the "Fan "Only" on Thermostat

Users who are viewing this thread

Skoby

Reaction score
Right now I only have two wires coming from the control board on my furnace to the thermostat in the living room. "R" and "W".

I want to be able to run fan only. Do I only need to connect a wire from "G" on furnace control board to "G" on back of thermostat?

Also, whoever hooked it may have wired it wrong. The red wire on the control board goes to the "W" on the thermostat along with the white to the "R".

It's a Rheem oil burning furnace. I can give more details including schematics and pics if needed. Thank you for any information

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
I want to be able to run fan only. Do I only need to connect a wire from "G" on furnace control board to "G" on back of thermostat?
I believe you are correct there.

Also, whoever hooked it may have wired it wrong. The red wire on the control board goes to the "W" on the thermostat along with the white to the "R".
That should not make any difference since the voltage is AC, but I prefer matching things properly at both ends.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
When you are only using two wires in the thermostat, it normally doesn't matter which one goes to which - the thermostat just connects the two together when it calls for heat. But, it won't work properly when you throw in a second function, as power is only on the R wire normally, and it needs to be connected to the G if you want the fan to turn on separately.

Most of the time, the 24vac control voltage comes from a transformer in the heating unit, so shutting down power to it should kill the power. There are situations where the 24vac could be supplied from another source - when working with electricity, it's always safer to check.

Last edited:

Skoby

Reaction score
When you are only using two wires in the thermostat, it normally doesn't matter which one goes to which - the thermostat just connects the two together when it calls for heat. But, it won't work properly when you throw in a second function, as power is only on the R wire normally, and it needs to be connected to the G if you want the fan to turn on separately.

Most of the time, the 24vac control voltage comes from a transformer in the heating unit, so shutting down power to it should kill the power. There are situations where the 24vac could be supplied from another source - when working with electricity, it's always safer to check.

Ah ha, that makes sense with the wire switch. Since I'm putting in new wire anyway I will switch them so the red and white are correct.

Another question. The thermostat has a cool setting also. Will the fan to come on if I program it to or does there need to be some type of central A/C unit attached? Thanks

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
Yes, and I thank you for that clarification. I was thinking of transformer connections while talking about a thermostat.

Another question. The thermostat has a cool setting also. Will the fan to come on if I program it to or does there need to be some type of central A/C unit attached? Thanks
If you put a jumper between "G" and that "Cool" connection on the thermostat, the fan should run whenever the thermostat tries to cool the house. But other than that, you would need some kind of controller at the other end.

Skoby

Reaction score
If you put a jumper between "G" and that "Cool" connection on the thermostat, the fan should run whenever the thermostat tries to cool the house. But other than that, you would need some kind of controller at the other end.

Alright, I'm going to give a shot tomorrow. Thanks

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks