connecting pvc into stack cleanout, possible??

Users who are viewing this thread

Nakoda003

Reaction score
I bought a home built in 1880 and have been teaching myself how to fix it up. So far so good, but I've got a problem I cant fix without knowing something...
The upstairs bathroom is in a very tight spot. There isn't much room to work beneath the floor. I ripped out the floor from below and found that they had used lots of lead bends to connect the tub and toilet to the stack. It is absolutely impossible to tie back into the existing stack with new pvc after I put new drains on the items in the bathroom. I can't get into the attic so i can not remove the stack (plus I don't want to mess with it). My question is...can I hook a new pvc stack into the old stack's cleanout in the basement, then run the new stack up to the bathroom and tie it into new drains on the tub and toilet. I would get a t or y shaped pvc to tie into the stack so that I would still have a clean out. I am wondering if the toilet, tub, and sink would still vent properly. It seems like it would work, but I am not sure of the hydraulics of it.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
No, you can't do that. I'm sure you want to do this yourself to save money, but in my opinion, you would be wise to hire a professional for this. The whole thing sounds like a real mess and should be straighten out, but with all the problems of tight spaces and what sounds like hack plumbing jobs from the past, this is more than a novice should attempt. Even if you managed to get the pipes in and hooked together, it's not likely you would pass inspection which would me redoing much or even all of the job.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drains

I do not think I have ever seen an installation where it was "absolutely impossible" to do the job. The limitation is not the space but your ability. I think you are in over your head and need a qualified plumber to do what you want, and do it properly.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks