Connecting P-trap to drain for tub

Users who are viewing this thread

vinceliberto

Reaction score
In the process of installing a bathroom in my unfinished basement. I have an existing rough in and have found the tub drain under the concrete. I have opened up a whole the size recommended per the instructions for my tub. The problem I have is that with the angle and location of the 2" drain I can not get far enough back on the drain to cut it to install the P-trap. My question is can I install two 90's out of the tailpiece from the tub and then the P-trap to be able to connect it further forward on the drain? I've attached a picture of what I'm talking about. Obvisouly I understand that my pick has a combination of 1 1/2 and 2" fittings, I just grabbed what I had sitting around to explain what I meant.

Thanks for the help!

Attachments

• plumbing..jpg
    plumbing..jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 14,849

Jc60618

DIY Junior Member
Reaction score
Here in Chicago code says that when a p trap is used on a bath tub it shall be directly below the tub overflow without any offsets. However I have run into this problem in a large hotel remodel were this was not possible and had to offset. Sometimes you just have to make it work. If your going to offset it and have room I would use two 45 degree elbows instead, that would make it easier to rod in the future. using two 45 will reduce the unecessary bend.

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I would loose the nut on the p-trap and go with a solvent weld.
Those nuts tend to break later.

And if you can use 45's, that would be better.
Is there no way that you can cut some pipe and line it up better?

Shacko

Master Plumber-Gas Fitter
Reaction score
On a GOOD basement rough-in a trap is included under the slab, did you look?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Also, keep in mind that that 90 coming out of the outlet of the trap can point backwards....this would seem to nearly align with your overflow and drain connection. Depends on if you have a little offset available.

vinceliberto

Reaction score
On a GOOD basement rough-in a trap is included under the slab, did you look?

I have about 2' exposed and all I see is a straight 2" section coming thru the hole I've made. I just assumed there is no trap. Could it be further back under the slab?

Last edited by a moderator:

Shacko

Master Plumber-Gas Fitter
Reaction score
Most rough--ins for tubs and showers in concrete have a box around them, I use a 8x12in for a tub and a 8x8in. for a shower, you will need something similar when it comes time to hook up, if you have 2ft. exposed down to the dirt, you probably don't have a trap and you have plenty of room for your hook-up.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks