Connecting Outside Generator to Transfer Switch

Users who are viewing this thread

SAS

Reaction score
I am going to connect a 7500 watt generator to a transfer switch via an outside connection box. Can I just run 10/4 NM-B cable between the connection box and the transfer switch in my basement, or do I need to use conduit?

Drick

In the Trades
Reaction score
10/3 NM-B (you don't count the ground) is fine as long as the circuit breaker on the generator is rated at 30Amps and you don't live in Chicago where, if memory serves me correctly, everything has to be in conduit.

Remember to use some silicone around the inlet box to help keep water out.

-rick

SAS

Reaction score
Thanks, Rick. I'm a bit confused about the ground, maybe because the power cord from the generator to the connection box is described as 10/4. I'm guessing that's because the ground wire is insulated. Using 10/3 I would be using a bare copper ground. Also, since I'll be mounting the connection box inside the garage, I don't have to worry about keeping any water out.

SAS

Reaction score
I won't be using the NM cable outside; it will run from the backside of the connection box to the transfer panel. The entire run will be in the basement.

Drick

In the Trades
Reaction score
Thanks, Rick. I'm a bit confused about the ground, maybe because the power cord from the generator to the connection box is described as 10/4. I'm guessing that's because the ground wire is insulated. Using 10/3 I would be using a bare copper ground. Also, since I'll be mounting the connection box inside the garage, I don't have to worry about keeping any water out.

The /3 or /4 referrs to the number of insulated conductors. And while placing the power inlet in the garage seem like a good idea, its actually a code violation. To meet code the generator inlet must be installed outdoors.

If you are running the cable along the bottom sill in the garage you do need conduit to protect it from physical damage. Your options are to run individual #10 THHN conductors in conduit along the sill in the garage. Or if you want to avoid using conduit you can run the 10/3 cable into the garage, straight up the first stud, across the top wall plate, and back down the stud where you want to locate the inlet. This requires more wire, but no conduit.

Or just locate the generator inlet so that the wire does not need to run thru the garage.

-rick

SAS

Reaction score
That's all good information to have. I can easily (just a little more work) put the connection box in the outside wall. Another option I've considered is to just run a long power cord from the generator directly to the transfer switch (through a slightly opened window or door). Is that permitted by code?

JWelectric

Electrical Contractor/Instructor
Reaction score
THE RULES HAVE CHANGED

[Engine Generators] Engine Generators for Portable Use

See General Information for Engine Generators

445.1702.10(A)702.10(B)445.1702.10(A)702.10(B)445.1702.11(A)702.11(B)
GENERAL
This category covers internal-combustion-engine-driven generators rated 15 kW or less, 250 V or less, which are provided only with receptacle outlets for the ac output circuits. The generators may incorporate alternating- or direct-current generator sections for supplying energy to battery-charging circuits.

When a portable generator is used to supply a building or structure wiring system:

1. The generator is considered a separately derived system in accordance with ANSI/NFPA 70, "National Electrical Code" (NEC).
2. The generator is intended to be connected through permanently installed Listed transfer equipment that switches all conductors other than the equipment grounding conductor.
3. The frame of a Listed generator is connected to the equipment-grounding conductor and the grounded (neutral) conductor of the generator. When properly connected to a premises or structure wiring system, the portable generator will be connected to the premises or structure grounding electrode for its ground reference.
4. Portable generators used other than to power building or structure wiring systems are intended to be connected to ground if required by the NEC.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks