Connecting new shower drain to existing tub drain

Users who are viewing this thread

Branimal

Reaction score
Adding a shower to my new bathroom. I'd like to tie the showers drain to the tubs drain pipe before the main stack using a wye. I'm also going to tap the showers vent into the tubs vent using a wye or tee.

Does the shower need a 2" vent?

Is this feasible?

Also anyone know why terry love isn't available on tapatalk?

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 1,109

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
You should start by checking with your inspection dept., as a shower drain is required to be 2", whereas a tub drain was normally only 1-1/2". If that is a dry vent, it would also fail inspection in most places because is is running horizontally below the flood rim of the fixture,.

Branimal

Reaction score
You should start by checking with your inspection dept., as a shower drain is required to be 2", whereas a tub drain was normally only 1-1/2". If that is a dry vent, it would also fail inspection in most places because is is running horizontally below the flood rim of the fixture,.
I think the tub drain is 2". The drain pipe after the wye connection between the tub drain and the tub vent is 2".

Regarding the vent, I will be running it sloped upwards (1/4" per 12"??). to the wall. Does that suffice? How would you solve the code issue.

Thanks for the good questions and quick response!!!

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
I think the tub drain is 2". The drain pipe after the wye connection between the tub drain and the tub vent is 2".

Regarding the vent, I will be running it sloped upwards (1/4" per 12"??). to the wall. Does that suffice? How would you solve the code issue.

Thanks for the good questions and quick response!!!

I would be looking at where the shower wall will be to run the vent up within and across to the existing vent or new through the roof. Alternatively, the new drain extention could be routed to the wall so the vent riser can come up near to where the vertical section is now.

You have a lot of framing there that is going to require careful planning to get through without causing additional problems.

Branimal

Reaction score
I would be looking at where the shower wall will be to run the vent up within and across to the existing vent or new through the roof. Alternatively, the new drain extention could be routed to the wall so the vent riser can come up near to where the vertical section is now.

You have a lot of framing there that is going to require careful planning to get through without causing additional problems.

Would intersecting the vent here be a good choice.

Attachments

• IMG_3690.PNG
    IMG_3690.PNG
    56.5 KB · Views: 976

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Would intersecting the vent here be a good choice.

The vertical section there should be at least 42" above the floor. You can bring a new vent riser up from the shower drain line and tie into that. The old vent piping to the left would then be removed/eliminated.

Branimal

Reaction score
The vertical section there should be at least 42" above the floor. You can bring a new vent riser up from the shower drain line and tie into that. The old vent piping to the left would then be removed/eliminated.
Why would I eliminate the old piping? It vents the tub? Im doing a shower and tub.

Branimal

Reaction score
Tried using the original bend (1/8") to connect the new wye connection for drainage.

I Need a wider turn maybe a 1/16" bend?

Don't want to cut the straight pipe because there's electric right there and it's a fire risk.

First pic is original tub drain setup. Second pic is tub drain wye'ing with new shower drain (upcoming).

f2eb593069089c1c23a6854d1185e69a.jpg

84c05fa61e3846dbc7a7bdb24636c55d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks