Connecting floor drain to sump pump

Users who are viewing this thread

jnugget

In the Trades
Reaction score
Hi guys, After sandy, my insurance company dropped me and the new one I found wants me to put in a sump pump. I'm going to install it in the utility room which has a door to the outside then 3 steps up to grade. In the stair well is a drain that goes nowhere. I want to put a drain in the stairwell, run the pipe into the utility room, put another floor drain in, then pipe to the pit. Is it a bad idea to put a trap near the stairwell drain? I figured it would keep any bugs from getting in the house. Or should I put the trap inside the door to prevent freezing? was gonna use 4" pipe throughout. There will be 2 pumps in the pit, 1 primary and 1 battery backup. Any help would be appreciated... Thanks - John:)

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
If its just a line running to a sump pump pit you dont need any traps at all.

jnugget

In the Trades
Reaction score
I was only considering a trap to try and keep bugs from coming in through the outside drain to the inside drain. Maybe a Check Valve instead?

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks