Connecting faucet without using braided supply hoses?

Users who are viewing this thread

k.k.

Reaction score
I'm about ready to install our kitchen faucet. it comes with soft copper supply with a threaded end to attach to 3/8" supply hoses. I keep reading advise to stay away from the supply hoses since they are not as dependable as copper and now i think i'm starting to get paranoid about using them.

Anyway - I'm trying to find instructions for hooking up the soft copper supply lines directly (or in some manner other than hoses) to my 1/2" supply. Haven't been able to find any advice. Does anyone even do this?

thanks for reading

Ken

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It should attach easily to a shutoff valve. You'd throw away the nut that comes on the shutoff valve and just screw the one on the line into the valve. it's a good idea to replace old shutoff valves when installing a new fixture...just get one with the proper sized threads.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
There are literally tens of thousands of braided hoses installed EVERY DAY. Might there be a failure? Yes, and Iran might nuc New York City. The latter is better odds than a hose breaking.

But you can run soft copper up from the valve is you wish, just get a 3/8 compression coupling.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
The Watts FloodSafe® hoses were known to fail and cause flooding when they first came out.

I don't use anything "when it first comes out"!

I am still thinking about upgrading my cell phone from this one:

cell-phone-jimbo.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
Maybe flex supplies are OK, I don't know. We do not use them on anything. Not because of dependability issues but rather esthetics. I think they look like crap and given the extra 5 minutes it takes to install hard piped supplies I just can't come up with a logical reason to go flex. Then again I'm down to my last 400lbs of Mastodon meat in the freezer.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
I have only connected about a half dozen "copper supply lines" to faucets in several decades. The flexible metal ones are quite reliable, the all plastic ones are not worth the effort to install them.

Hackney plumbing

Homeowner
Reaction score
We install PEX water supplies for most faucets. I switched from chrome plated copper and cone washers about 14 years ago. If its a pedestal or a toilet I still use plated copper.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks