Connecting chrome brass to plastic pipe

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by Jwhitman, Jun 4, 2012.

1. Jwhitman

Jwhitman New Member

This may seem like a dumb question, but I have to ask. After a recent bathrooom sink installation the drain was offset considerably and the hook a little odd. I started out with brass pipe wall drain and p-trap then a flex up into the sink. The flex leaks where it connects to the p-trap. I just used the standard slip joint gasket that came with the p-trap. Should I use a different seal.
    Thanks,
    J
  2. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

Flex pipes under a drain often lead to problems, but....as long as you have the fitting plumb where it connects to the trap, a regular slip joint gasket is all that is required.
  3. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

With the correct drain fittings, there is NEVER a justification for using a flexible drain pipe. They are "illegal" and cause problems.
  4. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

As in "sick bird"?
    [​IMG]