Connecting air duct to air register

Users who are viewing this thread

monkeyshine

Reaction score
Good evening all -

Sorry for the rookie question, but I've come across an issue with my air duct to air register which I was hoping the pros on the site could please answer. More than likely a very simple answer.

I currently have this set up which is a 7+" OD (OD is just a hair over 7" - maybe 7.125/7.2) air duct which I'm trying to use a 7" to 6" reducer to accommodate a 6" air register:
GarryLove1.jpg

This is what the "elbow" or whatever that is looks like:
GL1.jpgGL2.jpgGL3.jpg

For whatever reason, the ridges on the air duct (it's an old set up obviously) will not accommodate the 6" air register - even with the reducer. The 7" side of the reducer will not fit properly to the 7+" OD air duct. Seems like HVAC work is never plug n' play. The "elbow" appears to be attached to a long sheet metal pipe. Does anyone have any ideas - any help would be appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Things I've tried thus far:
1. 7" to 6" reducer
2. Sheet metal (rolled and crimped) with self tapping screws unfortunately with no luck either.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks