Connecting 1-1/2" to 1-1/4" drain pipe

Users who are viewing this thread

kinetogenic

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I'm replacing a vessel sink, and while I am at it I have decided to replace the P-trap with a botthe trap, mainly for aesthetic reasons as all the plumbing is exposed. The drain pipe that comes from the wall is 1-1/2", however all the pipes for the bottle trap are 1-1/4". Since the reason for doing this in the first place is mostly aesthetic, I was hoping to keep things looking nice down there, but the only thing I can seem to find to connect these two pipes is something like this Fernco PDTC-150-1-1/2-Inch trap connector. Does anybody have any other suggestions, or is this my only option for making this connection? I thought about using a 1-1/2" to 1-1/4" slip nut but that requires the 1-1/2" pipe to be threaded, which the drain pipe from the wall is not.

Thanks for any help!

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You can glue a trap adapter on the pipe from the wall. To look nice, you won't want the rubber Fernco showing.
the end of the nut for the slip joint extends just barely past the wall. Those are normally placed back there before drywall.
With a bottle trap, the centering must be perfect, as there is no swivel adjustment.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks