Connected 115v pump with 230v control box

Users who are viewing this thread

George Sz

Reaction score
Hello,

I finally had my first well drilled and as all do-it-yourselfers eventually do, made a dumb mistake. I bought a Grundfos 10GPM 115v pump (3 wire +ground) and a control box from two separate online vendors, and the control box was a 230v control box (with the 1/2 hp rating that my well pump has). I only paid attention to the HP rating when I ordered the control box, as the model number is very similar for the two Grundfos 1/2 hp control boxes for the two voltages. In fact the model jnumber on the box is the same (SA-SPM5)

Amazingly, the pump ran from an inverter generator (120v) for over a half an hour as I was trying to flush the new well, with the pump sitting about 53 ft below ground. The capacitor on the control box finally blew after 35 minutes or so. I first though maybe I had the controller too far from the pump (about 100 FT using 12GA stranded wire), but today I realized I was using the wrong controller.

The question I have is - did I damage the pump by using the 230v control box? Was this supposed to work at all?

I ordered the correct control box today, but I wonder if I am likely to need another new pump as well when I go back to the well site in a few months.

Thanks,

George S

Reach4

Reaction score
The question I have is - did I damage the pump by using the 230v control box? Was this supposed to work at all?

I ordered the correct control box today, but I wonder if I am likely to need another new pump as well when I go back to the well site in a few months.
I predict the pump survived. Let's hope.

But then I am surprised that the capacitor popped.

Last edited:

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
The capacitor and relay are only for starting. But since you had a 230V relay on 115V supply the relay did not cut the capacitor out of the circuit, which caused it to pop. Pump should be fine.

George Sz

Reaction score
Thanks!! Did the motor run at a lower speed with the wrong control box? It seemed to be pumping really well while it worked.

Reach4

Reaction score
It would have been going the right speed.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks