Connect to spigot & hub or reroute?

Users who are viewing this thread

DavidTu

Reaction score
In a different post I asked about whether it was to-code to have a 2" kitchen drain connect directly to the building sewer outside. Your answer: yes!

Now, I have to decide if I should reuse that drain or not. I'd like to know what would you do?

Unfortunately forum readers, it'll take a bit of explaining... Here is the situation: the 2" drain mentioned is an old 2" cast iron hub & spigot (possibly as old as the house--1907) that slopes perhaps a little steeper than 1/4" per ft into the unfinished (dirt) floor of a storage room. (We will be finishing the storage room w/ drywall and insulation, but not heating it--and we will pour a slab as well.) The drain leads outside and connects to the building sewer as mentioned above. Downstream from this connection is the main stack connection to the sewer. We had the sewer scoped from the main stack onward, but the camera did not fit in the 2" drain so we have no way to know the condition of that drain/sewer, which sit upstream of the stack. The sewer scope guy said the 2" drain was likely connecting to a 3" sewer and that may be hard to clean out should the need arise (both because of size and that it would have to be dug up).

Were we not to route the kitchen drain through this 2" drain, we would have to run an additional 27 ft horizontal to reach the main stack / sewer connection. (This can be done w/ correct slope, for a total horizontal run of 36'--we'd be taking a higher route of course than the existing drain).

Keep in mind, this is a full-remodel and all new plumbing is installed elsewhere above the basement level. Also we have not lived in the house so have no history/knowledge of that drain's performance.

So without knowing the condition or performance of the drain and given the sewer scope guys comments, would you tap into that old spigot and hub 2" line or run all-new to the main stack?

Should we choose to reuse the existing 2" drain and to pour a new slab, does whatever connection is made to the CI spigot & hub drain have to remain exposed above it or can it be embedded in the slab?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
There is NO requirement that the pipe be left exposed. IF it is usable, then it can, and should, be augered/snaked to determine its condition and clean it out. Steeper than 1/4" per foot is NOT a fault. Less than that is a major defect.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I have pulled out plenty of lines in Seattle that have rusted through on the bottom.
1907? I would use a new line. You will never find an easier time to do it.

I replumbed a pub near Woodland Park Zoo, everthing in the ground had rusted away.
zoo_2010_1.jpg

Mason at the Zoo, school field trip with James
zoo_2010_2.jpg

What is this?

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Well, a pub could be as bad as a Dairy Queen. They also had the bottoms of the drains eaten away by the carbonated water which went down the drain. If it were green, it might be the Geico Gecko, or maybe it is he in disguise.

DavidTu

Reaction score
Terry, which pub? I am right up that way, just curious.

Thanks for the replies... I'm sort of impressed anyone read such a long question--I was loathe to post one so long. Given the local knowledge, I will follow Terry's advice on this one and just reroute to the main sewer drain.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I don't remember the name of the place located on Phinney Ave just West of the Zoo. It was a fire job and we were rebuilding it.
We had to bring everything up to code.
As part of the process, they painted all the burned wood that was still standing with white lacquer to kill the fire smell.
I used to do a lot of these, when you saw on the news there was a fire, I would be out there to replumb it.

On that job, like a dummy I was standing on the top of my six foot tripod ladder.
I lost my balance and fell clear to the ground, landing on my tailbone. Ouch!
What is that, a nine foot butt plant onto concrete?
I went outside on the sidewalk where it was light, to get my senses, and someone comes up and asks what the place will rent for.
I just told him to leave me alone. I had re-dislocated my shoulder on the way down before hitting concrete with my butt.
I was in shock, so I picked up the tools and called it a day. I didn't trust myself to work with power tools until my head cleared.

I guess I should find the place and have a beer.
It might be called the http://www.theparkpub.com/

the-park-pub.jpg

Last edited:

DavidTu

Reaction score
Those tripod ladders scare the heck out of me... now I know why! y0uch!

I guess I should find the place and have a beer.

Well if you do, let me know. I'll be happy to come buy it for ya, I live very nearby there.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks