Connect to main

Discussion in 'Irrigation / Sprinkler Forum' started by Hammer8789, Dec 13, 2012.

1. Hammer8789

Hammer8789 New Member

Dec 13, 2012
    McHenry, Il.
    We are having an irrigation system installed. The plumber is here connecting to our main line. What he has done is nothing like I have ever seen, though he says it will be fine. We are on a well so my main runs in with a 1" pvc flex to the baffle/pressure tank. comes out with 1" galv. pipe and reduces to a 3/4' valve then feeds the house. He has cut the 3/4' line after the valve and installed a 3/4 x 3/4 x 1" T. The 1" is what he is running to feed the irrigation system. I would have removed the reducer, replaced the 3/4" valve with a 1" then installed a 1"x 3/4"x 1" T and moved on. It just doesn't seem right to feed a 1" pipe with a 3/4 ". Who is right?
  2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Aug 17, 2004
    Bothell, Washington
    A small section of 3/4" isn't going to have much effect.
    With city water, the setters are 5/8" or 3/4", and we run 1" or 1-1/4" off of those.
    A long distance of 3/4" would have been more of a worry, the distance adding to the friction loss.

If you look at a hosebib, the port that the water comes through is very small. And yet it will gush out of there.
  3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement