Connect 3" drain

Users who are viewing this thread

Mar3232

Reaction score
Photo is attached on what I need to do. I cut out a rotted copper pipe between the 2 pieces remaining and fortunately they are both very solid, the "flange" around that copper elbow and the piece entering the iron discharge pipe.

I have been trying to manipulate an assortment of rubber couplings, pvc (and a combination of both) but it's leading nowhere because the position of the 2 are just mismatched enough that it's friggin impossible.

Don't they make (haven't found anything yet) that is a simple flexible piece of tubing that I can get in there and just clamp both ends and be done with it? I would think they would sell the 3" rubber by the foot somewhere but no. (?) (!) It's about a 60 degree curve but I've been screwing with conventional fittings for 2 hours. -- THANKS kindly.

Attachments

• P101000622.jpg
    P101000622.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 112

Mar3232

Reaction score
the white piece on the right is copper that was painted when the walls were sprayed and a 3" rubber coupling fits perfectly on it so I'll assume it's 3 inch. the piece on the left is also copper but was wrapped with fiberglass and who knows what but is sturdy and not rusted or weak. As I said, I cut out a piece of copper pipe that was between the 2.

Reach4

Reaction score
could I use polyethylene corrugated pipe ?
That sounds like a particularly bad idea. IMO, Fernco wrap idea was better, but if you did that, you would want to get Fernco FPW4252CS which is the larger version. Or at least get the middle size. I am not a pro, but I like that Fernco wrap idea. I think it is important to follow the directions and make the wrap tight while it hardens. https://www.menards.com/main/store/...fernco/Prod_Tech_Spec/powrwrapspecinstall.pdf

If you want further suggestions, I suggest you post a photo that includes the whole area that you would involve in a fix.

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Rubber couplings don't work because they sag over time.
It looks to me that you will need to do some major replumbing there. The copper going bad is something that will happen to the rest of it too. I don't think copper was ever a good idea for waste.

mission_bandseal.jpg

The type of coupling we use.

Mar3232

Reaction score
Terry -- you beat me to it. I just realized it will be easier just rebuild everything so it lines up. I'll just get rid of the copper and do PVC.
But when I go into the cast iron stack, how do I do that ? I have a piece of copper in there now (that black piece on the left) (looks like it was wrapped in fiberglass and they tried to fix it?)

I guess I could try a short rubber coupling onto that black piece but It's really best to let the pipe get inside the hub isn't it? Also read about a cast iron hub adapter? Anyway, live and learn -- just going to rebuild it (except for the stack of course)

Mar3232

Reaction score
Or I guess that coupling you're showing me is the way to go? and then PVC from there?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Or I guess that coupling you're showing me is the way to go? and then PVC from there?

It depends on what you have on the cast. It's hard for me to tell on the picture. Those couplings above come in many variations. They can be bought in copper sizing, cast, and plastic.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks