Connect 2 city water supplies together

Users who are viewing this thread

daleclock

Reaction score
I have an 100 year old house that was once a duplex. There are two 3/4 inch water supply line coming into the basement at opposite ends. One is used for the lawn sprinkler system and one is used for the house supply. Can I connect the two supply lines in order to increase the water flow and pressure to the whole system? If so do I need to have some type of back flow valve?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
water lines

The one for the lawn irrigation may be on a different rate, since it would not have "sewer charges" on it. Whether connecting both together would raise volume and dynamic pressure is unknown because it would depend on how the piping was installed in the house/building. If you did connect them then you would need backflow prevention devices on BOTH lines.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Since this was once a duplex, it seems reasonable to think that possibly there are two separate water supplies to the house, but if that is true, there should be two meters. Is it possible the city has forgotten one of them? In any event, the irrigation line must have a back flow prevention device to protect the city water supply. I think you have some exploring to do to see if there is another meter buried somewhere. I see no advantage of joining the two lines. I would be concerned about these pipes being galvanized and becoming corroded. 3/4" is fairly small for both domestic water supply and irrigation, depending on size of the house and size of the irrigation system as well as the condition of the pipe. If you feel you need more water supply to the house, then you might be in line for a new supply line from one of the meters with a back flow where the irrigation splits from the domestic. I would consider a 1" line. Meter size would not have to be changed.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; Some cities have reclaimed water that is used for irigation.

BUT, I have never heard of it being used for "domestic" irrigation, usually just large areas such as parks and gold courses, and even then the piping is colored purple to identify it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks