Confusing shower cartridge

Users who are viewing this thread

C-Lo

Reaction score
Not sure how to get this baby out. It seems the threads are in the way of the nut? The cold side came out like butta.
Stuck hot side:
image.jpeg

Working cold side:
image.jpeg

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The first thng to do is pull that extension off the end of it. Then use the same wrench you used on the cold water to remove the hot stem. That plastic piece makes it look like a Pfister ceramic seal stem.

C-Lo

Reaction score
The first thng to do is pull that extension off the end of it. Then use the same wrench you used on the cold water to remove the hot stem. That plastic piece makes it look like a Pfister ceramic seal stem.
Thanks for the quick response HJ! Ok, so I pulled off the extension and I realized there is a brass increaser stuck in the faucet sleeve. It came off on the cold side with the sleeve but is stuck on the cartridge on the hot side. Any ideas on how to get it off? Trying DW-40 and a channel lock pliers but it's not budging.
image.jpeg

CountryBumkin

Reaction score
You may need to cut a slot across it with a die grinder (or hacksaw blade) and split it to get it off.
Just don't cut all the way through it - just go deep enough to be able to split it in half with a screw driver or chisel inserted in the cut.

C-Lo

Reaction score
Country Bumpkin and HJ, thanks, your knowledge saved me hundreds of dollars! I was able to cut off the stuck adapter with my Dremel. HJ, you were right, it's a Pfister cartridge which my local plumbing store had in stock. Shower is all put back together and works like a charm!
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks